TV Install - Future Proofing (for a large TV) & advice on max TV size.

JamesR100

Hello everyone,

Having realised my TV (65") is too high on the wall and redoing all the in wall cabling for speakers I'll essentially be starting with a blank canvas on the wall it and the front l/r & centre speakers were mounted.

The TV will be mounted 9.5 feet from the seating position, I am tempted to move to a larger screen if I can, so my question is as follows:
It looks like 65" is the max recommended size for that distance from the screen, has anyone gone larger i.e. 75" or even 85" and has it worked out o.k.?

Also I've done my research and it looks like for my height (5ft 10") having the centre of the screen roughly 43" from the floor is best. If it looks like people think I can get away with a larger screen, guessing the best thing to do is to install the current screen in the position ideal for a 75" and live with the (very small) fact it's slightly out of place height wise for now, I'll research height adjustable mounts if anyone has any recommendations that would be great.

Either way it'll be way better than where it was with the middle of the screen about 55% from the floor.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Hello everyone,

Having realised my TV (65") is too high on the wall and redoing all the in wall cabling for speakers I'll essentially be starting with a blank canvas on the wall it and the front l/r & centre speakers were mounted.

The TV will be mounted 9.5 feet from the seating position, I am tempted to move to a larger screen if I can, so my question is as follows:
It looks like 65" is the max recommended size for that distance from the screen, has anyone gone larger i.e. 75" or even 85" and has it worked out o.k.?

Also I've done my research and it looks like for my height (5ft 10") having the centre of the screen roughly 43" from the floor is best. If it looks like people think I can get away with a larger screen, guessing the best thing to do is to install the current screen in the position ideal for a 75" and live with the (very small) fact it's slightly out of place height wise for now, I'll research height adjustable mounts if anyone has any recommendations that would be great.

Either way it'll be way better than where it was with the middle of the screen about 55% from the floor.

We have a 75" TV in the kitchen, and the sofa sits anywhere from 4ft to 6ft from it (it slowly moves back over time until we 'reset' the position every couple of weeks or so)!

So bigger really is better - I sit less than 9ft from our 11ft wide, 7ft high, screen in the cinema (front row) - which is a touch close with full-on action movies (and why I plan on 4-way masking at some point). You'll soon get used to the size of a moderate 75 or 85 inches! ;) :D

Depending on the VESA mounts at the rear of the TV, you may well find that the centre position of the screen remains the same (roughly) despite the change in TV size. Not that's it's a huge deal to unscrew and re-fix the mounting bracket if it needs doing. Our 55" Samsung's VESA holes were pretty central - the Philips 75" VESA holes were much lower down, so we did indeed have to move the bracket to position it in the right place - no biggy though!

kitchen tv.jpg

'scuse the mess - just took the pic to show that 75" isn't that big! So you'll be fine. (I'm assuming you're not in a studio apartment here)!

JamesR100

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I needed, nice setup by the way (envious that that is only your kitchen setup!). We live in a decent size house and the part of the lounge the TV goes on I think looks almost identical to the width of the area that your Kitchen TV is on. So this gives me good reference when trying to persuade the other half that we can indeed contemplate a 75" or even a 85" TV.

I actually took the liberty of evaluating how much wider an 85" sony compared to our 65" and it's 22cm either side. So I'll push for 'approval' of an 85" and 'compromise' at 75".

That's a very good point about the vesa mount likely to be identical position on a new TV, with just a little more screen below and above. Again, having done a little basic maths (subtraction...), an 85" screen (all things be equal on the vesa position) should be 34 cm larger top to bottom than a 65", so assuming the vesa mount remains the same in position, then the mount would only need to be 15cm higher for an 85" tv to have the same bottom edge as a 65" tv with the same lower edge point.

Once again thank you for helping me out here, good to get someone else's opinion.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom