1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV help needed 28inch widescreen probs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jammods, Sep 14, 2002.

1. jammods

jammods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all I'm new to the forum so go easy please. I have searched the forums b4 posting aswell!

The problm is I know nothing about tv's but have definately decided on a 28" flat screen.

Things like 50hz, 100hz I dont know whether the 100mhz is worth paying extra for. Is my current normal tv 50hz? if so then that is fine.

Extended warranties........are they worth the extra £'s?

Finally my shortlist so far of 50hz is the philips 28pw6515, toshiba 28z23b....I'm looking for sub £500 and open to other suggestions

2. kash21

kash21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can afford 100hz then buy..as for extended warranties ...the Goverment is reviewing how they are sold plus if effective and cost worthy.

i ve bought 2 tv's frm George Henry Lee's in Liverpool now John Lewis's..both were £100-£50 cheaper than certain big chains....plus ..FREE 5YEAR PARTS/LABOUR..FREE!!!..

Comet wantd £309 for 5yrs on a Sony 32 wide tv

3. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    On the 100Hz vs. 50Hz issue, as Kash said, 100Hz is a good option if you can afford it. Your existing TV is likely to be a 50Hz model. As screens get bigger the flicker that is inherent to 50Hz TVs becomes more apparent. 100Hz TVs (which update the picture 100 times a second) do not suffer from flicker at all.

Extended warranties can be useful, however I suggest you steer clear from those offered "in-store". If you buy you TV from John Lewis you get a free 5 year warranty, which is fantastic. Otherwise you can get good cover at reasonable rates from Domestic & General. This is the insurance company most manufacturers use when offering warranties under their own brand name.

Have a look at http://uk.pricerunner.com/ to search for TVs within your criteria.

Good luck :)

4. jammods

jammods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys been on to John lewis and they have a Philips 6506 with 5 years for a tad under £600.

Anyone know about this set as I cant find much info abou tit at all?

thanks in advance

steve

5. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 32 incher 6506 was reviewed in What Hifi Sound and Vision, Feb 2003 issue. They gave it 4 stars out of 5 saying that the picture was a bit soft and not that brilliant from analogue rf input. The sound was considered very good. They reckoned it wasn't quite as good as the Tosh Z23 and should be a couple of hundred pounds cheaper.

John Lewis are selling the 28 for 519 now which is not bad considering you get the stand and a five year warranty. However I have seen it avertised in the same magazine from what looks like a non internet shop in London for £369. What you could do is try to get JL to pricematch the London shop and get the 5 year warranty.

The same magazine have the Samsung WS-2864NS listed as tested in the Jan 03 issue with 4.5 stars and this TV can be found in JL for £399.

Cheers,
    Cal.