TV Height dilemma driving me nuts

oboe

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, recently went to the expense of getting my fireplace extended to accommodate a 65” Samsung QLED (I know, cue the “don’t install a TV over your fireplace”, but it had nowhere else to go save filling a wall in! The TV is currently at 60” from floor to centre, and it feels a bit high (despite my putting masking tape up and staring at it lying down on the couch for weeks). I’m now thinking I can drop it a further 5” to 55”, just above the mantle, and move that centre speaker down. Does anyone else have their TV at this height? Will 5” lower make much difference? And should I get a tilt mount considering it’s QLED?

Attachments

• 16D19950-1E09-4A4E-9FD5-E0A9463C557D.jpeg
    16D19950-1E09-4A4E-9FD5-E0A9463C557D.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 266
  • FC450B50-B973-4502-A14F-4E9E3E746F6C.jpeg
    FC450B50-B973-4502-A14F-4E9E3E746F6C.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 209
Here's a picture of my Samsung 55" TV - mounted so from floor to centre of TV is around 55 inches. I've also tilted mine down using the actual Samsung "no gap" wall mount:

received_205128867964946.jpeg

Ignore the kids toys and speakers positions as these are temporary. I mounted the TV like this because:

a: I have young children - makes it harder for them to reach! 😂🤣

b: I'm having a 745mm high custom AV cabinet built - which will also have a Monitor Audio C350 centre speaker on (235mm high). This will replace the low cabinet in the picture. Meaning I needed the TV at least 1 meter high (measured from floor to bottom of tv).

It's actually 1.05m - 1050mm from floor to bottom of tv. Once I've got the cabinet (750mm) & centre speaker (235mm) under. They'll be a 70mm gap to the bottom of TV.

I find this height/angle comfortable for viewing.

Edit: For reference, photo was taken from slightly in front on my main seating position.

Last edited:
Thanks Jester 1066. I can’t use the kids excuse anymore as mine are a bit older, but I did lose a tv by not having it high when the boy was younger (plastic tennis racket through the screen). Glad you find it comfortable. I’ve had screens (tv and projector) up high and low in various domiciles, and I have to say - tv stand height is defos too low for me. Does the tilt make all the difference? I’m loathed to have to drop it further due to the hassle, and maybe even shifting that mantle, but it defos feels a bit high atm (maybe as I haven’t watched at that angle for ages

Thanks Jester 1066. I can’t use the kids excuse anymore as mine are a bit older, but I did lose a tv by not having it high when the boy was younger (plastic tennis racket through the screen).

Funny you mention kids and TV's.... the one in the pic is actually the second TV.... This happened to the 1st...

Hence the 2nd being wall mounted higher than most 🤣😂

Glad you find it comfortable. I’ve had screens (tv and projector) up high and low in various domiciles, and I have to say - tv stand height is defos too low for me.

Ditto - Where mine currently is it looks high, but you do get used to it quite quickly tbh.

Does the tilt make all the difference? I’m loathed to have to drop it further due to the hassle, and maybe even shifting that mantle, but it defos feels a bit high atm (maybe as I haven’t watched at that angle for ages

My tilt (down) is probably 15 degrees and in my opinion it does make a huge difference. Helps with glare from the sun etc. I tilted mine primarily because we have quite a low hanging pendant/lightshade that reflected in the TV when it was flat against the wall. Again you get used to it being angled down. In its current position/tilt, when seated, the middle of the screen is at eye level.

If you can drop yours by 5 inches and tilt 15 degrees or so, I'm sure it'll make for comfortable viewing 😁

Here's a picture of the bracket and angle the TV's at - taken from the side.

*The silver bolts are there to stop the bottom edge of the TV hitting the wall and act like stoppers. If the bottom of the TV is pushed it doesn't move at all.

20210519_202943.jpg

Hope this helps!

I’d heard there’s no point in tilting a QLED as the QLED deals with glare. Thoughts? Or does the tilt REALLY help with that vertical viewing angle?

I’d heard there’s no point in tilting a QLED as the QLED deals with glare. Thoughts? Or does the tilt REALLY help with that vertical viewing angle?
The glare I mentioned is actually more of a rainbow effect caused by the reflection of the led bulb in the pendant light onto the TV. In my case tilting the TV both solves this and (as you say) helps with viewing angle - which is I guess the main benefit

Just worked out if I drop it 5 inches to the mantle it’ll be 57” from floor to centre. Everyone think with that and a tilt I’ll be ok?

Just worked out if I drop it 5 inches to the mantle it’ll be 57” from floor to centre. Everyone think with that and a tilt I’ll be ok?
That'll be about 1.5" higher (from floor to centre) than my 55" TV, so should be fine. The tilt will reduce neck strain and make for a better viewing angle.

That'll be about 1.5" higher (from floor to centre) than my 55" TV, so should be fine. The tilt will reduce neck strain and make for a better viewing angle.
Yeah I reckon that’s my only option save removing the mantle and installing a thinner mantle which will be a pain. I also need to move the sockets as they are exactly where the mount will go (doh).

Yeah I reckon that’s my only option save removing the mantle and installing a thinner mantle which will be a pain. I also need to move the sockets as they are exactly where the mount will go (doh).
Put up a picture, once you've altered it 👍🏼

Put up a picture, once you've altered it 👍🏼
Will do jester1066. Thanks for your support! Actually thinking of getting a thinner mantle and dropping it 10” also. This is gonna have to wait a bit!

Will do jester1066. Thanks for your support! Actually thinking of getting a thinner mantle and dropping it 10” also. This is gonna have to wait a bit!
That'll be even better! Good luck!

Will you be happy with raised and tilted when your kids get less “smashy”?
Yep as:

A) I'm used to it at that height now!
B) My custom AV cabinet & centre speaker has a combine height of just under 1000mm. Another reason there's at the height it is.

Yep as:

A) I'm used to it at that height now!
B) My custom AV cabinet & centre speaker has a combine height of just under 1000mm. Another reason there's at the height it is.
Said I’d post a picture once it’s done. Finally got it dropped to 56” to tv center and decorated. Think I’m happy with it!

Attachments

• 0CAE686E-B997-475F-B5EE-27C3AA717AA6.jpeg
    0CAE686E-B997-475F-B5EE-27C3AA717AA6.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 155
Said I’d post a picture once it’s done. Finally got it dropped to 56” to tv center and decorated. Think I’m happy with it!
Looks fine to me 👍🏼

How you finding the viewing angle/height?

Looks fine to me 👍🏼

How you finding the viewing angle/height?
Absolutely fine, provided my head is rested against the sofa cushion so I’m reclined - but that’s how I like to sit (slouch) when watching a film. For say football, when I tend to sit upright (clutching a beer or a cup of tea) it’s not perfect, but I’m pretty happy with it. How’s yours coming along?

Absolutely fine, provided my head is rested against the sofa cushion so I’m reclined - but that’s how I like to sit (slouch) when watching a film. For say football, when I tend to sit upright (clutching a beer or a cup of tea) it’s not perfect, but I’m pretty happy with it. How’s yours coming along?
Getting there.... We're nearly at the end of a very long process/build (the custom cabinet). Keep an eye on the forums. In the next few weeks, I intend to write a build thread. But want to get the few final bits finished first!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom