tv has freeview,which pvr do I buy?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by salsa, Feb 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. salsa

salsa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :) I have a humax 9200 working from my philips tv in lounge which doesnt have built in freeview and it works fine.I have a toshiba with built in freeview in the bedroom I am thinking about a dvd/hdd recorder or maybe a toppy,which would be best,will it work if tv and pvr have both got freeview,or maybe hubby might want the new one for the philips tv,can you help this dumb blonde :rolleyes:
    thank you

2. creddish

creddish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    It depends on what facilities you want. If you want to produce DVDs for long term archive use then you need a DVD recorder. If in addition to DVD recordings you also want optimum editing facilities and some limited PVR functionality then a HDD/DVD Recorder would be useful. Otherwise if you only want the sort of facilities you already have on the Humax 9200 but on an additional TV then you can get another PVR similar to the 9200. Any Freeview+ PVR can be used with a Freeview equipped TV in just the same way as with a non-Freeview TV. I would suggest you ignore the Freeview facility in the TV and watch and record all your TV viewing on the PVRs retaining the benefit of the PVR "trick play" features. You can use the Freeview tuner in the TV only when you want to record two programmes and watch a third one at the same time. Even this is not always necessary depending on the Channels being used.

The choice between a Humax PVR (the later 9300 or 9150 models or a Grade A 9200 from Humaxdirect) or a Toppy depends on what PVR facilities you want.

Colin