Question TV has died, replacement needed but what to get?

Boon72

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, it' been a while since i posted.

I have a dilemma, my gaming tv has died,:facepalm: (Samsung 40" 1080p model) the big question is do i purchase a replacement 4k TV for gaming or do i move my current Samsung 49" KU6400 4k TV for gaming and get a newer model 4k TV for main viewing.

Size wise a 49"/50" or 55" is where i've been looking, the main TV is connected to 4k amp running either Apple TV 4k, Sky Q with UHD or Bluray 4k, the gaming TV would be Xbox OneX.

Budget wise £500 or there abouts ;)

any thoughts would be helpful as a lots changed since i last looked.

Thanks Dodgxander.

Been looking at the lower cost end for a replacement but then the swap main TV angle as well, with the Panasonic GX800, Hisense U7 & U8, Sony XG81 & XG83 and surrounding TV's.

Does 100hz make a difference over things like Dolby Atmos & Dolby Vision etc

Thanks Dodgxander.

Been looking at the lower cost end for a replacement but then the swap main TV angle as well, with the Panasonic GX800, Hisense U7 & U8, Sony XG81 & XG83 and surrounding TV's.

Does 100hz make a difference over things like Dolby Atmos & Dolby Vision etc
Its important if you know you are sensitive to motion problems, or you like sport and like to use the TVs settings to improve motion.

Its not so important otherwise. The Panasonic GX800 has a lot going for it, but its downfall is its 60hz panel. Its main selling point, which is its dynamic HDR tone mapping is not available in game mode, which means you'll have issues with it when using HDR games.

But that is true to most TVs if you are buying sub 55", most are using 60hz panels only and none have good HDR capability until you reach TVs like the Samsug Q70R or Sony XG9005 in budget.

TVs are different spec at different sizes, which makes choosing even harder.

Thanks.

I know, it's a minefield.
I don't know if to just get a sub £400 from the below in 50" or 55" to game on.

Hisense B7100/B7500, Samsung RU7020/RU7100, Philips PUS6554/PUS6754, LG UK6750/UM7400.

or choose something better to replace the KU6400 49" i use for TV and film?

Hisense U7B/U8B, Samsung RU7400, Sony XG70 range between £500 - £600

or a little budget stretching to

LGSM8600, SonyXG8196/XG8305, Panasonic GX800, Samsung RU800/Q60 going up to £700

theres so many options and choices and different formats etc its hard to decide on whats the best option?

Well your budget doesn't really let you get something that is going to better than your existing TV for gaming, so in that respect you may as well opt for a new living room TV for video and use the Samsung for your gaming needs.

What I will say is you are looking at such a large myriad of TVs, all with different picture quality traits, so doing this whilst also being undecided about screen size is going to make your search even worse. I'd first narrow down what panel type you want from a TV and then what size you want, then choices will be easier.

Thanks for all the advise @Dodgexander went to Currys to see the TV's in action before ordering online, got the Panasonic GX800 58" priced at £799 with £100 off the website price, another £70 off through workplace rewards website cost me £630 and all with a 5 year warranty :clap:

Thanks for all the advise @Dodgexander went to Currys to see the TV's in action before ordering online, got the Panasonic GX800 58" priced at £799 with £100 off the website price, another £70 off through workplace rewards website cost me £630 and all with a 5 year warranty :clap:
Not a bad deal that for a decent TV, well done.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom