TV guide error DMR-BWT720

I know that one of my local masts recently had a huge fire and the fire service were called and the transmitter has been rebuilt.

The box says the software is up to date and their is no current further outstanding updates available, but thanx for the suggestion, cheers!
It was just a thought. Anyway at least you seem to have found what the problem was and can get round it 👍

It was just a thought. Anyway at least you seem to have found what the problem was and can get round it 👍
Yes, but it's not right because 5 star has been on that tv guide for a long time without any of these problems and now, all this grief!

Yes, but it's not right because 5 star has been on that tv guide for a long time without any of these problems and now, all this grief!
If you unhide lcn31from the epg does the original problem remain?

freeview website says that I should be able to get "5 star" in my area without any current problems! My aerial is only a year old and so is the cable, no problems with other channels?

now a new problem, when on freeview channel '25' and I press TV guide the screen goes blank and the only button that works on the remote is the on/off switch?

If I was in your position, I would do the following...
  1. Ensure you're running the latest firmware (v1.14 dated April 2013)
  2. Do a factory reset to 'shipping condition' (if you can do this without losing recordings - do not 'reformat')
  3. Put your postcode into the checker on this site and pick the transmitter you use (see NB below)
  4. Do a manual tune of each of the frequencies listed ('N' in the table) which will help to avoid duplicate channels
NB. Note that the 'most likely' transmitter may not be the one you actually use. In my case, a local relay transmitter (with a limited number of channels) is listed as the most likely option but my aerial is aligned to Winter Hill, which is actually the 3rd option in the list. If you're not sure, then start with the closest transmitter that gives the best results, so the one with the highest number of green columns.

If that turns out to be the Bilsdale transmitter in the North East that was affected by the fire, then it looks like problems are ongoing. The most recent service update is here. Temporary transmitters have been positioned in a couple of locations and a list of their transmitted frequencies is here but they won't reach all the affected areas. Work on erecting a temporary transmitter at the Bilsdale site is expected to be complete by 28th August.

If I was in your position, I would do the following...
  1. Ensure you're running the latest firmware (v1.14 dated April 2013)
  2. Do a factory reset to 'shipping condition' (if you can do this without losing recordings - do not 'reformat')
  3. Put your postcode into the checker on this site and pick the transmitter you use (see NB below)
  4. Do a manual tune of each of the frequencies listed ('N' in the table) which will help to avoid duplicate channels
NB. Note that the 'most likely' transmitter may not be the one you actually use. In my case, a local relay transmitter (with a limited number of channels) is listed as the most likely option but my aerial is aligned to Winter Hill, which is actually the 3rd option in the list. If you're not sure, then start with the closest transmitter that gives the best results, so the one with the highest number of green columns.

If that turns out to be the Bilsdale transmitter in the North East that was affected by the fire, then it looks like problems are ongoing. The most recent service update is here. Temporary transmitters have been positioned in a couple of locations and a list of their transmitted frequencies is here but they won't reach all the affected areas. Work on erecting a temporary transmitter at the Bilsdale site is expected to be complete by 28th August.
1. already has latest firmware
2. already done both a factory and shipping reset
3. Belmont (full green table)
4. tuned 22, 25, 28, 30-, 23. 26. 55. (can't find '30-', ?)

All done! makes no difference! Cheers!

1. already has latest firmware
2. already done both a factory and shipping reset
3. Belmont (full green table)
4. tuned 22, 25, 28, 30-, 23. 26. 55. (can't find '30-', ?)

All done! makes no difference! Cheers!

Ah, OK.

UHF channel 30- is essentially just 30 but the actual frequency used is a bit lower which helps with potential co-channel reception issues. You should be able to tune into it at UHF 30 as normal.

According to the 'Aerials and TV' website page for your transmitter, "Those situated to the West of Belmont (including the Sheffield area) may find that during certain weather condition they can suffer from co-channel interference as their aerials are pointing towards the continent"

The reason this may be relevant is that UHF 30 on Belmont looks to be the COM4 (SDN) mux which includes the 5STAR you mentioned you were having problems with, plus Drama, 5USA etc.

You shouldn't pick up any duplicate channels when tuning manually but if for some reason there are still channels in the 800+ region, I would delete them to rule them out as a possible cause.

Ah, OK.

UHF channel 30- is essentially just 30 but the actual frequency used is a bit lower which helps with potential co-channel reception issues. You should be able to tune into it at UHF 30 as normal.

According to the 'Aerials and TV' website page for your transmitter, "Those situated to the West of Belmont (including the Sheffield area) may find that during certain weather condition they can suffer from co-channel interference as their aerials are pointing towards the continent"

The reason this may be relevant is that UHF 30 on Belmont looks to be the COM4 (SDN) mux which includes the 5STAR you mentioned you were having problems with, plus Drama, 5USA etc.

You shouldn't pick up any duplicate channels when tuning manually but if for some reason there are still channels in the 800+ region, I would delete them to rule them out as a possible cause.
I am in Hull (HU9 ***), East Yorkshire, just 15 miles from the East Coast. Cheers!

I am in Hull (HU9 ***), East Yorkshire, just 15 miles from the East Coast. Cheers!
OK, in which case I'm all out of ideas ! Sounds like a good excuse for an upgrade... ;)

OK, in which case I'm all out of ideas ! Sounds like a good excuse for an upgrade... ;)
As I said, I'm using belmont according to the advice you gave earlier! I'd like an upgrade but I don't want to loose all my films and documentaries! Cheers!

As I said, I'm using belmont according to the advice you gave earlier! I'd like an upgrade but I don't want to loose all my films and documentaries! Cheers!
Sorry - you've lost me :D I just meant if you're not west of the Belmont transmitter, than the co-channel interference issue I mentioned above may not apply and therefore won't explain your problem (Hull looks to be to the north), so I'm not sure what else to suggest.

As for upgrading - you can (of course) buy a new PVR and keep the old one connected until you've watched the recordings. I did that years ago when I switched PVRs.

You may need to keep it anyway for the Blu-Ray player ? The current best Freeview PVRs don't include Blu-ray players these days and you'd be wise to steer clear of Panasonic as their current PVR line-up dates back to 2015 !

Sorry - you've lost me :D I just meant if you're not west of the Belmont transmitter, than the co-channel interference issue I mentioned above may not apply and therefore won't explain your problem (Hull looks to be to the north), so I'm not sure what else to suggest.

As for upgrading - you can (of course) buy a new PVR and keep the old one connected until you've watched the recordings. I did that years ago when I switched PVRs.

You may need to keep it anyway for the Blu-Ray player ? The current best Freeview PVRs don't include Blu-ray players these days and you'd be wise to steer clear of Panasonic as their current PVR line-up dates back to 2015 !
Thanks for the PVR advice, much appreciated! I.m not transmitter 'savvy' or technical in that way, but I do truly appreciate your advice! I'm 44 miles north of the Belmont transmitter. Cheers!

I'm having a similar issue with my Panasonic DMR-BWT720 HDD recorder.
If I call up the Freeview epg from BBC 1 (CH1), then scroll down individual channels, it exits the epg and returns to BBC 1.
If I call up the epg from ITV2 (CH6) then try to scroll down through the epg, it behaves as it should. UNTIL the epg reaches CH5, then it exits the epg and returns to ITV2 (CH6) or the channel being viewed when accessing the epg.
If I hide CH5 from the epg, then the scrolling through the channels behaves as it should.
Seems CH5 is the problem in my area, which according to the manual tuning is on CH34 578MHz No5 Channel name CHANNEL 5.

When I attempt to use the TV freeview guide on my set top box, I can start from say "BBC1" and scroll down to say around number 40 in the list of channels, then the tv guide suddenly disappears and I'm back on "BBC1" again!

Anyone got any ideas?

I've tried switching off and unplugging and doing a retune/channel search without any luck!

cheers!
See my post on P2 of this thread. Seems we have similar issues. My problem channel is CHANNEL 5 TV program.

See my post on P2 of this thread. Seems we have similar issues. My problem channel is CHANNEL 5 TV program.
Just moved CHANNEL5 to epg slot 888.
As soon as I scroll to this in the epg it exits back to TV channel previously watched.
If I select 888 to watch, then select epg it tries to view the epg, and immediately exits back to 888.
Bizarre.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom