1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV ghosting !!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by lewisn1, Dec 23, 2003.

1. lewisn1

lewisn1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an LG 32 widescreen tv.

recently i have noticed ghosting lines across the screen!!! on sky, on normal tele, dvds etc. I assume this cant be a scart lead problem then??? am i right??? Is the tv busted???

I have scart from my video to sky, sky to the tv, also a scart from the dvd to the tv.

i have taken the aeriel out but still have the problem, i am totally confused!!!!

any ideas?

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Ghosting can be present on scart and many people recommend cutting the composite out connection at the tv end in the scart plug. A typical situation where this is needed is when you connect a dvd player via scart rgb. The scart lead not only sends the rgb image but the composite image as well. The tv is obviously watching the dvd so it also sends out the composite signal via its composite out pin on the same scart socket connected to the dvd player. So the same composite signal is both going in and coming out on the tv scart socket. Often this ends up with a weak ghost image or scrolling unsynced ghost image going across the screen as a translucent almost invisible image. Sometimes you can only see it when you have a high contrast image like white text on a dark background. Other problems can be that instead of the dvd image going down the scart lead its actually an image from the tv's own tuner giving the same problem. Either way cutting composite output on the scart plug at the tv end should sort the problem.

Another problem is people using very high quality scart leads when the dvd player sends out too strong a scart signal and the television is actually quite sensitive to scart levels (i.e. doesn't like them too strong). A very strong image can lead to minor ghosting and washed out colours or very vivid colours depending on the tv. A low grade bundled scart lead may cure this problem.

3. lewisn1

lewisn1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bonzobanana,

thanks for the reply, if it was a scart problem though would it affect dvd, sky, video and normal tele?

I have tried taking a few scart leads out (eg video, sky) but the lines are still visible!!! why?

Also I have cheapy scart leads, I thought this might be the casue of the problem.

I also dont know how to take the composit pin out of the scart lead, what one is it?

4. ayubars

ayubars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Can we use S-VHS cable instead of the scart lead? I have a Video player JVC and TV is also JVC. The video player has s-vhs connection so maybe i can try and use this. Might improve picture quality....

5. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    it is most likely poor internal screening. what you are seeing is signal bleed from your RF ariel. if you remove the RF lead from your tv you will see the ghosting dis-appear only to be replaced by the noise of a no-signal picture, which then causes the picture to look very grainy. its just the way most tvs are made these days. panasonic tvs do it, too.

if you have a tv that does this then it seems to be just tough luck. you can either search, often in vain, for a manfacturor that doesn't have this problem or just ignore it.

you could of course use an s-video imput but i'm not even sure this will solve it.

actually, reading your post again you say it happens on normal tv pics, too. is this viewing an RF feed? if so that sounds a bit odd. i'd say call an engineer out but they just tell its not a problem and look at you as if you're scum for wasting their time.

try an s-video lead and see if its still there. then try a scart with the video out pin snipped at the tv end of the cable. also try the picture with only one piece of equipment connected at a time.

anyway good luck. its a real pain when you find something like this, i know. i have a similer problem with my bedroom set up. i tried a cheap scart and got terrible ghosting, then i tried a £20 cable with the tv out pin snipped and the problem reduced but its still there. i don't think the pin snipping had anything to do with it either.

6. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lewis, it shouldn't affect the built-in tuner, if you see the problem all the time it's not the scart.
    Have you tried taking all the scarts out and watching the tuner on it's own?

Ayubars, you can use an S-Video cable for your VCR if it has that as an output.

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Could be a 100hz problem. Some 100hz sets exhibit mild ghosting. I know LG 100hz processing is pretty awful. If its a normal 50hz set try altering the sharpness setting just in case its on high and causing ghosting. Otherwise some sort of earth loop problem in the set itself? Do you even get ghosting on RGB sources like teletext displays and RGB sources connected to the first scart socket?

8. ayubars

ayubars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mate: i own a JVC 28 Inch 100Hz TV. When i watch normal TV and VCR the picture is fine. But when I watch a DVD movie, i get the ghosting effect. Not sure what this is. I went to comet with the same DVD movie and when i played it on other brand panasonic 100hz and JVC 100Hz i got the ghosting again. But when i played it on a Panasonic 50Hz TV, i found no ghosting. If i was to get a replacement TV, the same brand, i'd probably get the same result - ghosting. I think i'll play around with Digi pure pro and VNR settings tonight and see if it improves things. Although, i remember, i tried to set this up before, but still got the same thing. If any1 can help me resolve, i really appreciate it.

thanks

9. ayubars

ayubars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right,
    Ok, i've played back Toy Story on DVD on my JVC TV. This time i've been playing around with the VNR and DigiPure Pro settings. I paused one scene in the movie and started to chnage some picture settings. I've noticed the ghosting and when i turn the Digipure pro setting off, i get a clearer picture but not 100% perfect as i should expect. By changing the setting to AUTO or MIN i get more ghosting effect. So i have just left this setting to MAX. I then changed the VNR setting from Off, min, etc... but did not notice any change in picture quality. Any JVC owners, please let me know what setting is best for you. Remember, i have the 28" model with 100Hz.

Thanks

10. ayubars

ayubars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right ok...

This is my configuratoin at the moment. I have put the Digipure Pro setting to MAX and VNR settig to MAX also. Ghosting is still there but now at minimal. So it looks like i have to keep the telly. I can't give it back as boys will say that there is no problem. Not sure is other TV's like Sony suffer from this ghosting effect...