1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Geometry...Help!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by John-D, Jan 2, 2003.

1. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya all,

I bought a Toshiba 32ZT29B this week and was very unhappy with the Geometry. I went into the service menu and got rid of most of the problems. Trouble is, while all of the vertical lines are perfect, on the test pattern screen, I can't seem to find an adjustment for bottom and top horizontal. It still has a slight bend in the top left and bottom right corners. Can anyone tell me how to alter these settings?

Thanks for time and trouble.

Cheers,
    John

PS. I think the person who set my TV up, must of been cross-eyed. :D

2. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi John

I had exactly the same problem. I spoke to my local Tosh Service Agent who in turn spoke to Tosh and there is no way to adjust the horizontal geometry. The way it comes from the factory is the best possible. I had a 6mm drop between the bottom centre and bottom left and this according to Tosh was in tolerence. This meant I have had a 3 month battle with my retailer to get it changed and in the end resorted to demanding a refund due to distance selling laws etc. I strongly recommend you write to your retailer stating you are unhappy within 7 days of delivery...

I am going to buy a PJ now!

Hope this helps

3. erbrod

erbrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my experiance of TVs - I have looked at every TV in Comet, Currys, Miller Bros, independant etc, NONE have perfect geometry. Some look like a wobbly jelly, and hardly any have anything like that of a computer screen. Price does not seem to make a difference - some £400 sets are better than £1500 ones. Manufacturers seem not to be bothered about this - strange as more and more of us are using menus on DVDs, games systems, digital and sky etc. Panasonic simply say that their TVs are made to a price and making them perfect (or indeed half decent by my standards) would push up the price beyond what would be considered reasonable for a domestic TV.

Basically, you take pot luck and get a set you can live with. For £1000 I think anything but perfect is a rip off. Its basically down to what you want the set for and what you can live with. Buy a set on-line and if not happy, get your money back - use the 7 day distance selling regs (always pay by credit card too). Incidentally, Dixons offer 14 day 'no fault' money back and will collect free of charge if you want to return the set. You pays your money and takes your chance ....

4. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info!

Talizker, did you get your refund?

Also, I bought the set last Sunday in a sale from Vernon Collards, in Rayleigh. Do you think I'll be able to exchange it, or get a refund?

Also, I don't have the box, coz it had to be torn, to remove it. Does that matter, if wanting to exchange it?

It's a shame, coz the picture quality is spot on.

Thanks again,
    John

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Clearly, you didn't look at any LCD or Plasma sets. These are the only way to be assured of perfect geometry.

6. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    John

The TV was collected today and I am promised a refund but I won't be happy until I see it!!!

As to what you should do. I guess it dependends on the dealer. Mine basically went 100% by the Tosh tolerence. It was only 6mm so no fault, which means they can't/won't exchange. I would have hoped a 'good' dealer would be able to do something...

I faxed them within 7 days stating I was not happy with the set [and I wanted an exchange]. After 3 months of contact it became apparant they would not do this so I pursued a refund under distance selling act. It is important to get something in writing to them saying you are not happy.

I don't think the box will matter for an exchange. Not sure how critical it will be for a refund mind...

Some more info/refs can be found here http://www.oft.gov.uk/Business/Legal+Powers/Distance+Selling+Regulations.htm

Let me know if you want any further info:)

7. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Talizker,

Got onto the shop today, and they're sending an engineer on Monday to look at it.

I did some mucking about on the grid-lines, on the service menu. The bottom right and top left of the picture is bent, because Toshiba set the vertical lines up with the picture on a tilt.

I used the CSAW control, to bend the lines back flush with the lines towards top and bottom. This straightened everything up near-perfect, but now the picture is on a tilt from left to right down and, is a lot more than 6mm. So, if the chap can't tilt the picture back, then I want a new one. I also used the THX Optimode grid-lines and these are also in near-perfect geometry.

Hopefully it will all be sorted Monday.

Thanks for your advice, Talizker.

Cheers

John
    PS. I'll post back on Monday, to let you know the outcome.

8. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Talizker,

Just to let know, Im now going through a fight with Vernon Collards, who sold me the TV. I just hope it doesn't last 3 months....

Any tips on how I can beat these buggers.

I even offered to buy a £400 more TV. I've even had their service engineer say "well that's stupid". He said he'll get onto them, too.

They said there's nothing wrong with the TV Set, so they won't change it. But the thing suffers from magnetic pull, which a tilt control would save this problem. So the set, does have a problem.

I'll keep you posted,
    John

9. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi John

Sorry to here about the problem. It is so infuriating when you have something like this because clearly you are not happy with your £1000ish purchase.

I asume from reading back that the TV was bought 'in shop' rather than over the Internet/Phone? Can you clarify this? Obviuosly if this is the case then my particular experience won't be 100% relivant...

Either way, hopefully someone will be able to offer you advice on how to get this resolved.

The only thing I will add that may be relivant is that I only had sucsess in pursuing a refund, not an exchange...

10. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I bought it from a shop and, I've just been onto the office of fair trading, and they've said I'm well within my rights for a refund.

I've called Tosh also, and they've said the TV's got a fault with it's shielding. So, it's got to be taken care of under it's first year warranty, by "Vernon Collard". So hopefully now they'll now change their minds.

I was willing to exchange the set for another, but after their rubbish after sales service, I'm going for a refund.

I'll keep you posted,
    John

11. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tosh are now sending an engineer down to look over it, on Monday.

I've also noticed, I'm getting slight magnetic bleed on the TV's right hand internal speaker. It looks like it well maybe a shielding problem, like the Toshiba technical people said.

John