Tv from currys broken within months

Calzy

Novice Member
Hi all!
I'm really hoping someone can help me on here and ive done alot of looking at this forum and alot of people have been in the same situation as myself.

Story:
So I bought myself the Phillips 55pus7334 at the end of may this year. It was on sale from £599 down to £499. Me, my partner and our son loved it, my only bad thing about the tv was that to me it had motion blur when watching films on the Netflix app but was not noticeable when using Netflix on my virgin box. At the end of August I noticed it had developed a fault where a patch of the screen towards the left which would slightly change the colour of whatever past it. To me it was annoying me but to my partner she couldn't see it. So I contacted team knowhow and they came and collected my tv on the 14th of September. They said I should have it back by the 21st. I had no updates from them, so after many hours of trying to phone them we were told that the tv was looked at on the 21st and had been written off because that model has been discontinued and they can't get the parts. So I had to wait till the write off had been approved and they would sent my voucher by email to get a tv of "equivalent spec or better". So on Friday the 9th of October they sent me a voucher for £499. Obviously I wasn't happy because I already had a look on the currys website and I can not get a tv for £499 with the specs I want. The pus7334 had 4 hdmi ports, dolby atmos, vision ect, I could get Disney plus for my son and so on. So I rang them up and spoke to a bloke who was trying to give me some ideas on what tv I would get in that price range but either had 2 hdmi ports which is no good, had no dolby or I could not get Disney plus. So I argued and said I should be entitled to a like for like tv and I said about the Phillips 58pus9005 which is priced at £579 down from £679. He agreed with me and said he would put a request in for me and I should hear back soon.

Does anyone agree with me that £499 would not get me a like for like spec tv? Seeing as the tv was originally priced at £599. Also if they play hard ball with me and say £499 is the final price, realistically what tv would be "like for like" as I've been racking my brain trying to find one! Any points tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ZipBuiltIn

Sorry for stating the obvious, you bought a TV for £499 and because it failed within a few months you're expecting a TV for £579. Have you thought about paying the difference?

The only consumer electronic device I have ever purchased which has gone up in price is my Oppo 203 Player.

Calzy

Novice Member
Sorry for stating the obvious, you bought a TV for £499 and because it failed within a few months you're expecting a TV for £579. Have you thought about paying the difference?

The only consumer electronic device I have ever purchased which has gone up in price is my Oppo 203 Player.
Appreciate the reply, but my point is the tv was £599, the tv had good reviews and the specs of the tv was what I wanted, so it was a no brained. Just unfortunate that it developed a fault. So yeah I personally think I'm entitled to a tv with the same specs which is why I said about the other Phillips tv.

MikeTVMikeTV

I think getting the full price back that you paid is fine, just because your old tv was on sale doesnt mean they have to give you a better TV now when they arent on sale.

Its going to be black friday soon, just keep the voucher until then and get a better TV on sale.

ZipBuiltIn

And I shouldn't have to pay the difference, its not my fault the tv developed a fault and the tv is unrepairable.
I'm not a Curry's Fan, however it is not their fault either. Try and meet them halfway.

Taken from Curry's T&C's

Product Replacement
If we cannot repair your Product you will be given a Currys PC World voucher to obtain a replacement Product in one of our stores. You will have 12 months from the date of issue of the voucher to use the voucher. The value of the voucher will be based on an equivalent or similar specification product up to a maximum of your original Product purchase price. We will also provide you with a Currys PC World voucher to purchase delivery, installation and recycling (where applicable). In some instances, at our discretion where we have directed you to a third party for a repair, a replacement product may be given by the third party instead of a voucher by us. If the third party replaces your product your Care & Repair plan will continue

https://currys-ssl.cdn.dixons.com/css/themes/care-and-repair/Care-Repair-T&Cs.pdf

Calzy

Novice Member
So what tv can I get for that price? I know you said about black Friday but it depends on whats on offer at the time. Im obviously going to keep fighting because ultimately I would like a same spec tv, but if I need to put more money towards the voucher, say another £100, what tvs would you recommend?

Calzy

Novice Member
Also I was looking at the Samsung UE55TU7100 if I had to put money towards it, is that model any good?. But I'll wait and see what they come back with

LCDseeker

I think Curry's have done everything they need to although personally I would ask for a refund not vouchers and shop elsewhere. Somewhere like Richer sounds will look after you much better and give a 6 year warranty.

In terms of a replacement add an extra £100 and it opens up so many more options. None are amazing sets but something like these should be much better than your recent one

Samsung UE55TU8500

Hisense 55U7QFTUK

Or if you really want something much, much better go for this.

Hisense 55U8QFTUK

The only issue is I think you still can't get the Disney plus app onto Hisense tvs BUT if you have a ps4 or XBox then you can get the app on them.

Calzy

Novice Member
No Dolby Vision and its now £499
Sorry I meant UE55TU8507 which I know doesn't have dolby vision but has good reviews.

I think Curry's have done everything they need to although personally I would ask for a refund not vouchers and shop elsewhere. Somewhere like Richer sounds will look after you much better and give a 6 year warranty.

In terms of a replacement add an extra £100 and it opens up so many more options. None are amazing sets but something like these should be much better than your recent one

Samsung UE55TU8500

Hisense 55U7QFTUK

Or if you really want something much, much better go for this.

Hisense 55U8QFTUK

The only issue is I think you still can't get the Disney plus app onto Hisense tvs BUT if you have a ps4 or XBox then you can get the app on them.
I've heard alot of good things about richersounds and I was looking on their website recently. Yes the trouble with hisense is no Disney plus but I do have an xbox, it was just easier for my partner to use the app on the tv while I'm at work rather than turn my xbox on ect. But I was looking at the samsung's as my older tv before all this was a Samsung and it was great! Maybe I should put in the extra money and get a higher spec samsung?

LCDseeker

Yeah that could work, ive never own a hisense, are they good?
If you go for something like the U8Q then yes it's very good for the money. It's basically trying to punch with sets twice it's price and doesn't do too bad a job. It would be a better television than the Samsung's but they are very good for the money. I can't fault Richer Sounds their customer service is awesome.

Dodgexander

I think you are making the mistake that many people do and look at the things like Dolby Vision support ahead of the actual capabilities of the TV.

Being able to accept a HDR format does not make the TV good with HDR, for that you'd need to look at higher end models like the Hisense U8Q LCDSeeker already mentioned above.

The Philips 7 series is replaced like for like with the 8 series in 2020. The problem you are finding is because of the current time of year and prices being high. When TVs are released each summer they come with a price tag that is often 50% more than they are worth. Therefore if you have to replace your TV right now, your money won't go as far.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
The retailer is just the middle man. I don’t see why they’re mentioned here.

You could buy the same tv from Harrods and still encounter the same problem.

Calzy

Novice Member
The retailer is just the middle man. I don’t see why they’re mentioned here.

You could buy the same tv from Harrods and still encounter the same problem.
I'm not saying its their fault it went faulty, to me its a matter of principle that I bought an item from said retailer and now I'm left without, all I want is a product that I bought, as any other human being would want surely?

Calzy

Novice Member
I think you are making the mistake that many people do and look at the things like Dolby Vision support ahead of the actual capabilities of the TV.

Being able to accept a HDR format does not make the TV good with HDR, for that you'd need to look at higher end models like the Hisense U8Q LCDSeeker already mentioned above.

The Philips 7 series is replaced like for like with the 8 series in 2020. The problem you are finding is because of the current time of year and prices being high. When TVs are released each summer they come with a price tag that is often 50% more than they are worth. Therefore if you have to replace your TV right now, your money won't go as far.
Appreciate your reply! I'm far from a tech guy, much more better with cars myself. So would you recommend a hisense?

IsaacRatch

Your expecting a product that costs more than your original purchase price though. No company in there right mind is going to do that.

It's sods law you may have purchased the TV at the time of sales and right now the TV you deem equivalent costs more.

Take your £499 refund, which is all they're obliged to do and keep an eye out in the upcoming sales. If it's vouchers they've given you remember Curry's will price match most retailers.

MikeTVMikeTV

Posting unsubstantiated defamatory comments or unqualified criticism about members of AVForums.
Hisense are very poor in terms on customer service and updates for their TVs, they promise a lot on paper but when its too good to be true it generally is.

They also refuse warranty repairs and will generate engineer reports without ever looking at the TV and then refuse warranty based on the engineers report.

Some people on this forum are paid by Hisense to promote the TVs.
EDIT by moderator* to confirm this certainly is not the case. Please don't make libelous comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calzy

Novice Member
Cheers for the info mate, they were never really a tv id personally choose anyway. I'll keep looking around and do some research to hopefully pick the right one.

LCDseeker

Guess I was lucky...sort of. Our Hisense became faulty a month before the end of it's two year warranty and in less than 24 hours after contacting them I had a credit note for the purchase value of the television. That said I wouldn't rush to buy another Hisense but if they work you can't argue with the value for money.

Dodgexander

Appreciate your reply! I'm far from a tech guy, much more better with cars myself. So would you recommend a hisense?
If you want a capable HDR TV for as little as possible go for the U8Q. If you want a TV that gets halfway there with HDR, go for the cheaper U7Q. The U8Q especially is a lot better than your old TV.

If you are interested in other brands, and more all round TVs a little less rough around the edges you need to spend a lot more. Entry level HDR models are expensive. The very cheapest you'd want to go is the Sony XH9005 or Samsung Q80T.

There's a lot of negativity toward Hisense, and users making libelous comments such as in this thread is completely unjustified. Yes they have there faults, but as do every manufacturer.

Any support you expect with a TV is where you buy the TV, not with the manufacturer. I'd take the money and buy at a better time, and from a good retailer like John Lewis or Richer Sounds.

Last edited:

MikeTVMikeTV

Hisense are very poor in terms on customer service and updates for their TVs, they promise a lot on paper but when its too good to be true it generally is.

They also refuse warranty repairs and will generate engineer reports without ever looking at the TV and then refuse warranty based on the engineers report.

Some people on this forum are paid by Hisense to promote the TVs.
EDIT by moderator* to confirm this certainly is not the case. Please don't make libelous comments.
I havent said anything that can be classed as libel.

Hisense refused to even look at our tv, despite at least 2 of their customer service saying it didnt look right, they then got in touch with AO.com to say the tv wasnt faulty, again without anyone coming to even check.

The TV had so many problems when the warranty eventually expired that we took it to the tip.

Hisense review pretty badly for alot of things like software, screen uniformity etc, their customer service has an awful track record, for a pretty new to the uk company, yet the same people on here repeatedly push them on buyers with little or no actual tv knowledge.

It's terrible really.

And again, no libel anywhere, I was approached a couple of years ago on here by an electronics maker to promote a certain model of tv that I had purchased and I know others have, it's very obvious, edit what you want, it's very obvious what's going on, I'm not the first to see it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton