1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV/Freeview/VHS/DVDR connection help?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Micky321, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Micky321

Micky321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help a complete novice, I have tried various ways of connecting Scarts but not yet got the desired affect...

I have the following:-

Sony TV 2 Scarts
    Sony Freeview box 2 Scarts
    Sony VHS 2 Scarts
    Philips DVDR 2 Scarts

If possible would like to be able to record from Digital box via DVDR or VHS.
    What would be the best way to connect?

2. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Try the following:

• DVD's AV1 scart to TV's AV1 scart.
    • Freeview box's AV1 scart to DVD's AV2 scart.
    • Freeview box's AV2 scart to VCR's AV2 scart.
    • VCR's AV1 scart to TV's AV2 scart.
    Both the DVD & Freeview box should be set to output RGB signals.

In coming up with this I have made a number of assumptions (which may be wrong):

1. The TV's AV1 socket is RGB-enabled.
    2. The DVD's AV2 scart can accept an RGB signal, which can be piped through to the TV, even when the DVD is in stand by.

3. DennyL

DennyL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the same combination of equipment. I bought a three-way SCART switch (ViVanco) and connected all the 'output' devices in a 'star' coniguration to the TV AV! through the SCART switch. I only use one SCART connection on each device. ie:-

Freeview AV1>SCART switch AV2
    DVD recorder AV1>SCART switch AV1
    VHS recorder AV1>SCART switch AV3
    SCART switch OUT>TV AV1 which is RGB

When I want to record from Freeview to DVD I press the AV2>AV2 button on the SCART switch

When I want to record from VHS to DVD I press the AV3>AV1 button on the SCART switch
    This arrangement has the advantage that it's fairly easy to remember how it all works without constantly referring to the manuals and/or a connection diagram. All I need to remember is what is connected to the three inputs of the SCART switch (I could label the buttons), as everything uses AV1, and it gives me some good excercise in constantly getting up and walking over to the SCART switch, which doesn't have a remote.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the RGB button on the SCART switch does, as it has produced some funny effects.

I just bought a CD/DVD/SACD player and now want a four-way SCART switch so I can feed it also to TV AV1, as my TV AV2 doesn't do RGB. Then I could watch DVDs in RGB quality while recording VHS to DVD, which seems to be taking up every waking (and some sleeping) hour at the moment.