TV for visually impaired

anglichanin

Novice Member
Hello Experts,

I am in an "interesting" situation - I need to buy a TV for my daughter and her fiancee but my daughter is visually impaired so I am not really sure how to approach this.

They will be sitting around 4m from the TV and, as things stand at the moment, I think the most important parameters are:
  • Size (I am thinking about 75"-77" minimum)
  • Brightness - it should very bright as, in addition to the room being relatively bright, I believe that my daughter will struggle with a dim TV.
  • Wide viewing angle
Obviously I don't think my daughter will care about black levels, motion handling, blurring too much but I'd still want a decent picture and I am sure her fiancee will want to have a reasonable quality too.

The TV I was thinking about is QE75QN95A (and I think LCD would be a more suitable panel type) but this is a top-of-the-range model and I wonder if there could be something in the lower ranges that would be suitable for the case (|and cheaper as well).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dodgexander

You're on the right track with the QN95A but you don't need to go for the model with the one connects box. There's a cheaper QN94A sold in the UK too that's the same TV but without the one connect box.

There is a difference in connectivity as the QN95A comes with 4x HDMI 2.1 ports whereas the QN94A comes with 1x HDMI 2.1 and 3x HDMI 2.0 but that's only a concern if you have it in mind to connect multiple HDMI 2.1 devices.

An alternative would be the Sony XJ95, you may find this cheaper than the Samsung models. It has 2x HDMI 2.1, better motion but overall is considered a worse TV compared to the Samsung models.

You'll need to stick with these top tier models if you want to retain good picture quality and wide viewing angles.

If you don't think performance in darker conditions will matter so much, you could look at the cheaper Samsung QN85A that still gets pretty bright but uses an IPS type panel.

anglichanin

Novice Member
Thanks, very useful (as usual :) )

XJ95 sounds like a good idea - it's currently £600 cheaper at John Lewis and Richer Sound so definitely worth looking at.

I should've included this in the original post - I don't think gaming is on the cards, mostly TV, Sky, Netflix, and some media files too. I guess this puts the need to have HDMI 2.1 down on the agenda.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom