TV for use with Mac mini

zorrofox

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I'm currently using a 24" Samsung monitor as a TV with the TV signal supplied by a Himax Freesat box. Trouble is I've just bought an Xbox and 24" is just not enough. I have a Panasonic Blu-Ray player hooked up andI also have a Mac mini connected which is used mainly as a glorified jukebox.

1. Would I be correct to assume that my use of the Mac would exclude Plasma screens?
2. I'm looking to get something around 32" to 39" and my budget is no more than £500.

I look forward to hearing any help and advice you guys can lend me.

Gordon.

The new Panasonics are getting lots of plaudits, have a look at the E6B (32" should be in budget, new so you'll be paying a premium currently)

http://www.hispek.com/panasonic/lcd...uilt-in-and-free-5-year-warranty-pd-15096.php

39" is £600ish

You can use a computer with a plasma, but best not if it's purely a monitor for Windows type stuff (ok for gaming and streaming films etc, i.e. being used as a TV)

It's a bit irrelevent though as plasma starts at 42" and will cost more than £500 :)

Thanks for the advice. I've actually been looking at the E6B and it does seem to fit the bill. Would input lag be a problem with it do you think? Also, I know it's my problem because a 32" would really fit in nice but it's a lot of money for such a small set considering what else is available. Still, if its the one to go for....

Gordon.

Ive ordered the Panasonic 32" E6B from JL today. I could have got it for less than the £499.95 JL are looking for but I think their 5-year guarantee is probably worth the premium. Thanks for the help.

Gordon.

If the place where you could have got it cheaper for is not an online only store then you can get JL to price match them.

Hi. That's interesting. Can I still ask that even after I've placed my order? I guess I need to phone them?

Gordon.

You call call or perhaps do it via their online form. It does depend who the other retailer is and where

Thanks. I've submitted the online form so we'll wait & see. I can't wait to get this telly to be honest. I know 32" isn't that big these days but it'll be a big step up from my present 24" monitor. I just hope it will display my Mac desktop properly as I hear there can be issues with certain sets regarding this. Also, I hope it copes well with gaming.

Gordon.

Hello again. I received the new telly yesterday and I'm blown away. The picture quality really is fantastic, at least to my eyes. I have a further question though. The TV has three HDMI inputs and I could really use four. It's no biggie because the monitor I was using before only had two and I got around this by using an HDMI switch box from Neet. However this telly has a component input and I was wondering if there's a way to connect one of my boxes with this interface. I think I'm right in saying that component video can't handle 1080p and so I'm thinking maybe I could connect my Humax Foxsat HDR to this input as it can only output 1080i maximum.

Does this sound feasible?

Gordon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom