TV for sons bedroom?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by scottie2hotty, Aug 13, 2013.

1. scottie2hotty

scottie2hotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hello,

I’m looking for some advice please guys
    We’d like to get our son a new tv for his bedroom for xmas and hopefully you can throw some recommendations my way

The tv needs to be at least 24” in size

The ability to record, either by usb or built in hdd (don’t even know if tv come with hdd built in)

A built in DVD player

The ability to connect to the internet would be a nice bonus

He doesn’t game so it doesn’t need millions of different ports

Our budget is between £100 and £150

I know all of things might not be achievable on our budget, but fingers crossed

Any help is much appreciated

2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I think, even if such a TV existed, you'd be struggling for the budget I'm afraid

Have a look at the supermarkets, eBay (something like an Argos refurb), Amazon, Richer Sounds

Few TVs if any have a proper HD in built and those that can record cost more or are larger screens

This meets the size and DVD requirement, almost the budget (get a few quid back with quidco)

Toshiba 24" LCD DVD Combi TV - TVs | Ebuyer.com

You'd be better forgetting the DVD, getting a £20 separate player and trying to tick a few more boxes with the TV

3. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I agree with Vickster. There are some cheaper brand TV/DVD players available, generally from supermarkets. Digihome is one label I have seen recently. The big BUT on TV/DVD players is that they are very vulnerable to jamming, particularly in the use of young children which renders them unrepairable and useless as a disc player & possibly TV. Any internet or SMART features are extremely unlikely in your price range. I'd be very wary of an eBay bargain in this arena.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  4. scottie2hotty

scottie2hotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks for the replies guys

My son is almost 14 so he will be looking after it, no jamming etc

I did think a tv with a built in hdd would be asking a lot, a usb stick will work fine

The only reason I mentioned a tv with an internet connection is that he spends a lot of his time on his iPad (too much if you ask me lol) and I thought it would be a cool feature he would get some use out of

I recently saw a deal on hotukdeals for a kogan tv, it's expired now, but wondered if something like that would be any good,it has the Internet feature but no dvd built in

Kogan 32" Agora Smart LED TV £179 @ kogan - Hot UK Deals

Any thoughts?

5. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    It would be ok for the money - probably have motion blur, poor blacks and bad sound though to be honest. Could be wrong however