Question TV for room with direct sunlight

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by mukee, Aug 19, 2017.

1. mukee

mukee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you please advise on a suitable TV that works in bright conditions. At the moment I have an old matte screen LCD which I am looking to replace, with a budget of up to £900. I will be sitting 3.5m away. I like watching sports so a screen that is good with fast motion is a must. Thanks in advance.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    I answered the same question not so long ago, not sure you can find a TV anymore that has both good brightness and a good anti reflection filter for £900. You may want to wait until 2017 models which are suitable come down in price rather than going only for a TV with high brightness.

See: Bright 55" to 60" TV Sub £1500

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    As far as I know the only site that measures reflectivity is Rtings and they're based in North America so only test some of the models we have here.

Both low reflectivity and high brightness will help against reflections.

LG are fairly dim but the higher end models (SJ series) reflect less than most while Sony's and Samsungs are fairly bright, with Sony typically having the edge.

Unfortunately TVs that combine both in those brands run to about £1200 at the moment, like the XE90 and MU8000 in their smallest 49" size

Whether Philips or Panasonic offer anything better in budget is hard to say without comparable measurements.

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,138
    FlatpanelsHD also mentions reflections in his reviews but not in a consistent/layout like Rtings, you have to search in the review for the bit were he talks about it.

His Panasonic reviews imply Panasonic use glossy reflective screens in some 2016/2017 models.

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Most TVs are glossy, it's a good thing generally and improves perceived picture quality.

Glossyness is bad for reflections because it doesn't distort them so they are easier to pick up compared with the blur that a matte TV turns them into.

If the reflections aren't bright enough to be noticeable against the picture in the first place then glossy is the better choice. It's ubiquitous on high end models with their high brightness and low reflectivity.

6. mukee

mukee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help. I remember reading something regarding Samsung's "motheye" technology to manage light reflection? It seems the brighter the panel the better and to go for Sony or Samsung. How do they compare with fast motion? Do you recommend any models?

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    It's not just about the brand, it's also the class of tv. The high end Samsungs have good filters, the lower ones like the MU range do not.

Just take a look at the list here: Reflections on TVs: Glossy and matte

8. mukee

mukee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the useful info and links. I'll have a good read!