TV for playing retro games

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Acjtk, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Acjtk

Acjtk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. PFMC84

PFMC84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    That should be OK, any TV with an RF/RCA input should play your consoles from NES onwards, (maybe even some before) but why limit yourself to such a small screen size? Why not get a 21" or 28" 4:3 TV instead? Probably pick a good condition one up for around the same price as this TV, if not cheaper.

3. Acjtk

Acjtk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have limited space and size is not a issue 15" is very playable for me and this one is still new so i assume will have a longer life span

4. PFMC84

PFMC84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    I doubt those sets are being made any more and were probably manufactured a good few years ago, so the "new" may only refer to them having never been switched on before. I wouldn't expect any warranty or guarantee they'll last as long as you would think!

On a side note, I find when playing my old consoles on my 42" full HD TV that it looks pretty good if you connect it up properly. It's a shame space is an issue or you might find you'll get pretty good results on your main TV.

5. Acjtk

Acjtk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea I'm fully aware they don't make CRT TV's new anymore but i feel that one in a new condition will at least have a longer lifespan then one in used condition as for space i only have room for one more TV and i have a 42 inch that rarely gets used only got TV shows now and again i personally don't like gaming on big TV's i feel more comfortable in the 15-22 inch range i feel like a concentrate better on fps games online so big sizes don't do it for me and i really want a CRT as i feel will get the best retro feel over a decent set up on a HDTV

6. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    get a Sony Trinitron or a B&O MX range of tv harder to get nowadays, but they do pop up on gumtree/free-cycle now an again.

but if you want to play on a larger modern Flat screen get an XRGB mini or frameister as its more commonly known, these give the retro TV look on HD displays, expensive at the £200 mark but give great results.

Retro Core 4 - Volume 5 - XRGBmini...

RGB101 :: RGB and the Framemeister: Getting...

7. Acjtk

Acjtk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys i orded the tv and it came today games look and feel great on it but i do have one more question which will get me the best picture plugging in through the red yellow and white cables or using a scart?

8. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Scart all the way, but it needs to be RGB over scart not all consoles support this and need modded to do this.

dont know what consoles you have but but the Snes, Mega Drive, PlayStation, are RGB, you will need to mod the NES and N64 for RGB.

9. Sanders79

Sanders79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,022
    There's an svideo cable available for uk pal N64s too, in case that's an option for you.

10. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    S-Video was removed from later model PAL consoles, if yours is grey chances are your ok, but if you have the later coloured shell models, composite is the best you can get.