Question TV for parents - 400GBP

glennuk1

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to buy my parents a new TV. They can only fit a 47inch on their TV stand, but would prefer a smaller 42-43 inch screen.

I am looking at this model from ebuyer -http://www.ebuyer.com/634811-samsung-ue40h6400-40-full-hd-led-smart-3d-tv-ue40h6400akxxu
Or this LG - LG 43LF540V 43" Full HD LED TV - Ebuyer

Wondering if there is any other advice, links you guys have?

The main complaint they have now (with an old 32 inch LCD) is the dark sometimes overwhelms the picture - so in a show with a night scene sometimes they struggle to see the characters in the dark etc.

Budget is around 400GBP.

The Samsung ue48h6400 is currently £399.00 @ Richer Sounds so will come with 6 year warranty. This is a 2014 model however it from what I've read it was very well received and prices appear to remain strong... for example the 55" is £599.00 at the same retailer. ( tbh its the first I've seen this drop below £650 )

Unfortunately I've no clue about the LG model you mention.

Thanks both for your suggestions. Still looking at a number of TVS.

They can only fit a 47 inch or else that samsung would be perfect.

How about Sony KDL43W755C? I would only buy an LG LCD if wide viewing angles are a priority due to poor contrast. Espeically if dark images are already an issue. Plus, I have to know; why is 48" too big but a 47" is OK? The 48" H6400 would be ideal. 40" is a bit small IMO.

How about Sony KDL43W755C? I would only buy an LG LCD if wide viewing angles are a priority due to poor contrast. Espeically if dark images are already an issue. Plus, I have to know; why is 48" too big but a 47" is OK? The 48" H6400 would be ideal. 40" is a bit small IMO.

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I say 47 is because they are buying a new cabinet/entertainment center, and it says it can only accommodate up to a 47 inch TV, not sure what it looks like, and if that is playing it safe but can't check as don't live near, and also it hasn't been delivered yet.

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I say 47 is because they are buying a new cabinet/entertainment center, and it says it can only accommodate up to a 47 inch TV, not sure what it looks like, and if that is playing it safe but can't check as don't live near, and also it hasn't been delivered yet.

Maybe make a quick call to the manufacturer to get measurements you need?

Maybe make a quick call to the manufacturer to get measurements you need?
Yeh got the measurements, anything bigger than 47 would be a struggle...maybe 48inch.

Still looking, going to go into town today and see if I can find one.

Okay really enjoyed reading all your reviews. Went to town and couldn't find what I wanted.

Quick update. For sure can not fit anything bigger than a 47 and to be honest a 40 or 43 would be preferable due to the relatively small cabinet the tv is on.

Full HD is a must. Both wide angles and good blacks are a must.

Preferable good sound quality too as the room is large although they will be sitting between 2-2.5 meters away from the tv

Also had decided on the hisense but is OOS from Amazon and need it next week preferably

I'm sorry to say it but LCD TVs with good black's use VA panels which means poor viewing angles.

If you need a TV with wide viewing angles e.g 45* or more you'll need a TV with an IPS screen which won't have good black's or contrast in comparison.

Also, no modern TV will have good sound. You'll need an external soundbar or speakers for that.

I'm sorry to say it but LCD TVs with good black's use VA panels which means poor viewing angles.

If you need a TV with wide viewing angles e.g 45* or more you'll need a TV with an IPS screen which won't have good black's or contrast in comparison.

Also, no modern TV will have good sound. You'll need an external soundbar or speakers for that.

Hmm that's interesting. Thanks for the info. Any ideas on best value for money 40 or 43 inch full hd

Probably the Sony w8 or Samsung 6 series.

There's more TVs being released too but they aren't reviewed yet as far as I know. I'm not sure how good they will be as manufacturers now reserve 1080p TVs only to their budget lineups. Could be worth waiting, might not be. You could always demo some to see.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom