Question Tv for garden room

Ad22uk

Hi all,

looking for some advice on a new tv which will be used in a garden room mainly for films and occasionally gaming.

Have already bought Sonos arc with sub and 2 Sonos 1’s for surround sound so the tv needs to have e-arc was looking at 65”. ideally I don’t want to spend more then £1200 so assuming anything bigger wouldn’t be as good at that price range?

Cheers

vickster

Distinguished Member
Is the room very bright or able to be darkened?
What viewing angle(s)?

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

looking for some advice on a new tv which will be used in a garden room mainly for films and occasionally gaming.

Have already bought Sonos arc with sub and 2 Sonos 1’s for surround sound so the tv needs to have e-arc was looking at 65”. ideally I don’t want to spend more then £1200 so assuming anything bigger wouldn’t be as good at that price range?

Cheers
If you're not in a rush then wait for the XH9505 to drop in price, or if you want something quicker go for the XH9005.

There is also the 65" U8Q for £1000 but the motion and on board tech is not equivalent to the Sony's but it's a lot of television for the money.

Dodgexander

Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q85T if you want any kind of future proofing with HDR. The cheaper models like the Sony XH9005 may not cut it if you want to use the TV for HDR material.

The Hisense U8Q is the cheapest way to get good HDR for as little money as possible, but may not be as good as the others with picture processing so the display of poorer material may look worse.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Thanks Dodge out of the sony and Samsung which would one would you recommend going for?
I'd say the Q90 is on a par with the XH9505. The Samsungs have more tech onboard but don't have Dolby Vision whereas the Sony does. The Samsungs also crush images to try and prevent blooming so the Sony's give a more accurate colours and image and have better motion. Both have very good operating systems although some people seem to prefer Samsungs. You are unlikely to be disappointed with either. Normally I'd advise to do a comparison at Richer Sounds but clearly not happening for a while now. I'm extremely pleased with my XH9505.

Ad22uk

Thanks for your reply! would it be worth getting q90 for the hdmi 2.1 Or does the xh9505 have hmdi 2.1 as well?

Dodgexander

The Samsung for gaming the Sony for video. Samsung has better anti glare.

Samsung models have 1x HDMI 2.1 port the Sony has none, but the Sony does have ALLM and eARC on its HDMI 2.0 ports which will work with your Sonos ARC.

One downside to the Samsung models apart from lack of Dolby Vision HDR support is lack of DTS audio support too, but perhaps with your Sonos not supporting DTS either its not a problem.

Dodgexander

It wouldn't be sensible to buy anything more than the Samsung Q90T/Sony XH9505. If you want a the one connect box you can get the Q95T which is the same TV otherwise to the Q90T.

Models that are more expensive are OLEDs suited more to darker conditions, or 8k TVs from Samsung which cost considerably more but only perform a little better. The Q700T/Q800T are worse with dimming than the Q90T/Q95T and the Q900T/Q950T are small improvements but cost a lot, lot more.

Ad22uk

Thanks dodge the Sony sounds perfect just a shame it doesn’t have hdmi 2.1 for ps5 but to be honest it mainly going to be used for movies anyway

thanks again for your help

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Thanks dodge the Sony sounds perfect just a shame it doesn’t have hdmi 2.1 for ps5 but to be honest it mainly going to be used for movies anyway

thanks again for your help
Don't worry about HDMI 2.1 unless you're a serious gamer it's getting hyped up when in reality it's not needed for console owners.

Ad22uk

Thanks going to order the xh9505 and it’s been reduced but now I’m tempted by the 75” or would that be to big the area is 14ft x 14ft?

Dodgexander

There are people who think a 32" will be too big for that space and people who have projector size screens in smaller spaces. It really is about you, what you watch and how you feel a TV will look in that room.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom