TV for brightly lit room, wide angles and 14' viewing distance

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by tombola1989, Aug 13, 2018.

1. tombola1989

tombola1989
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As per the title I'm looking for a TV for a room that's brightly lit, will be viewed from a variety of angles with the main seating area 14 feet from the screen.

My budget is roughly £2,000. So far I believe these are my two options, but would really appreciate some expert advice.

65" LG OLED C8PLA (can get a good deal through work)

Or

75" LG with IPS panel ( understand these are better for viewing angles than most other LCDs)

Love the idea of the OLED but worried it won't be big enough from that distance. Main uses are gaming, sports and Netflix.

Please let me know your suggestions and what TVs I should be looking at.

Thanks.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,037
    That is very far from even a 75" TV but which size you go for depends how much you care about detail from higher quality sources compared to picture quality in other areas, especially with how good HDR looks.

What kind of viewing angles are needed?
    VA LCD will be max 30 degrees each side from the centre of the TV.
    IPS LCD will be max 50, depending on the model. Some have better angles than others but all are better than VA.
    OLED will be the best, with almost a 90 degree viewing angle.

3. tombola1989

tombola1989
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you.

The majority of viewing would be at no more then 45 degrees but occasionally might view from 60/70.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,037
    Should be fine with an IPS panel TV like the LG you mentioned then. If you can still find one the Sony 75XE85 series would be a better overall package then the LG.

But if you want HDR to look good you simply can't afford a 75"model, instead then an OLED makes the most sense.

Obviously bigger is better but how much an increase in size is worth a decrease in picture quality really is only something you can answer. There's not really a way to measure it.