1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV for bedroom

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ftogpx, Jun 4, 2004.

1. ftogpx

ftogpx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, i'm after a bit of advice on what tv to get for my bedroom. It will be used for Sky, DVD and xbox. At the moment i'm using a 14" Sony unit which has served me well, but i'm after something a bit bigger :)

I would love to go for a nice LCD screen, but I can't justify the price at the moment. I was looking at 24" widescreen CRTs but they maybe a bit too big as the viewing distance is only about 2m, and there is also the problem that they are so deep and won't fit on my cabinet.

Do you reckon that I would be ok with a 4:3 21" CRT. If so, are some makes not as deep as others? I've always been a sony man so they will be my first port of call.

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

2. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    My 2ps worth. I went from a 14" portable to a 28" widescreen & it didn't seem much bigger with the change in aspect ratio. (I know that sounds odd & I haven't measured it, just it didn't seeem like the leap you'd expect) However I hadn't the same size constraints. Some models (can't think which) are supposed to be 'slimline ' so must be shallow, but I was in the Sony center & can only say most of the CRT tvs looked as deep as they were wide. (All large size screens though) There's been postings about using LCD monitors as Tvs & for the money/size I'd consider that. Ebay has stand alone TV tunners £80 at present. A nice 17" monitor & Bob's....... Otherwise its probably axe the cabinet. CRTs are so bulky.

3. ftogpx

ftogpx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. Regarding using a LCD monitor as a TV, will the monitor have the necessary scart/rgb/s-video inputs that a TV has?

4. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'm no entirely sure, it depends on how you go about it. This -http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3761&item=4135418711&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V should link to an external box that looks like it'll work with just the monitor, & has 'connectivity'. I must stress I've not tried it, but reading, others have been happy (particularly for the money). I was just offering an alternative for your circumstances.

5. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Doesn't link, but cut & paste.