Question TV for a "Home Cinema"

ErnstTheViking

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I don't know much things about TVs and what TV should I look for, so I hope that you could help me.

I've just moved in in a new house from my old apartment and I always had a dream to have a "Home Cinema" - literally just a room where I will have a huge TV, amazing sound system and the best couch in the world. Since I've got covered the couch thing already and have my buddy to help me with audio equipment, now I need help with the actual TV.

So, I understand that it has to be 80 inches and bigger, honestly I'd like to go for as much as possible sizewise (the room is big enough believe me). It definitely won't be used for television. Mainly streaming movies, netflix, youtube, a console.

Since I have no knowledge for this kind of stuff, maybe some of you guys have already done something similar or have technical knowledge and could share what you think.

Also, price doesn't really matter, but I wouldn't like to overpay for no reason.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Limited selection above 80" will make your choice easier. For starters OLEDs are only available up to 77", so your options will be 82" Samsung, or 85" Sony LCDs.

Samsung have the RU8000 and Q60R, Sony the XG85 series, these are more than enough TV for most people.

Then Samsung do the Q70R which is more suited if you want a TV with decent HDR performance, whilst Sony have the XG95 series which is a slight step up with HDR compared to the Samsung.

At the very high end Samsung have the 8k Q950R, but its 8k resolution and almost 8k in price too.

Sadly in Europe shoppers of very large TVs are more limited to North America as Samsung have decided not to release some of their higher end TVs at larger sizes. The Q80R and Q90R at 82" size are not available to purchase in Europe.

EDIT# forgot to mention Sony also have the ZG9, but at 12k its ridiculously priced.

Last edited:
Why are you not considering a good quality 4K projector instead?

Limited selection above 80" will make your choice easier. For starters OLEDs are only available up to 77", so your options will be 82" Samsung, or 85" Sony LCDs.

Samsung have the RU8000 and Q60R, Sony the XG85 series, these are more than enough TV for most people.

Then Samsung do the Q70R which is more suited if you want a TV with decent HDR performance, whilst Sony have the XG95 series which is a slight step up with HDR compared to the Samsung.

At the very high end Samsung have the 8k Q950R, but its 8k resolution and almost 8k in price too.

Sadly in Europe shoppers of very large TVs are more limited to North America as Samsung have decided not to release some of their higher end TVs at larger sizes. The Q80R and Q90R at 82" size are not available to purchase in Europe.

EDIT# forgot to mention Sony also have the ZG9, but at 12k its ridiculously priced.

Thanks for your answer! Do you think that I should consider 77 inch OLEDs too? What are the differences between OLED and LCD anyway?

Sorry, I am not really that knowledgeable when it comes to screens...

Thanks for your answer! Do you think that I should consider 77 inch OLEDs too? What are the differences between OLED and LCD anyway?

Sorry, I am not really that knowledgeable when it comes to screens...

Thanks!

Hisense do a 100” laser projection tv that’s around £10k.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom