TV for £600

jman316

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to buy a tv but know nothing of what to look out for!

I would however like to have the following features..

Freeview HD
full HD
As thin as possible
Backlight
Additionally what should i be looking for if i want to avoid blurring in fast moving pictures?

My budget is £600

Can someone suggest a TV for this kind of price?

if you are looking for a screen around 40" the highly rated samsung c650 and the sony ex503 pretty much tick all the boxes of your requirements. after much deliberation i went with the samsung, amazon are doing the set for £635 as are dixons with there 5% off promotion (code tv05) off their rebadged c652 (indentical set) plus if you have quidco you can take that price to £616 pretty close to your budget.
richer sounds have the sony at £649 but you have to trade in another t.v to get that price, the tv does not have to be in any particular condition though.
hope this helps

thanks for a pretty awesome answer!!!

and what about "Additionally what should i be looking for if i want to avoid blurring in fast moving pictures?

100hz processing is designed to help motion. But it can add input lag for gaming and also make the picture look a little artificial. The two sets recommended above include the feature

both the sony ex503 and the samsung c650 have 100 hz motionflow they appear to be very simularly specked (internet capabilities, panel used). i went with the samsung as the reviews both on these forums and externally have been glowing. the sony has had some criticism with regards to banding , but again has been very well reviewed especially in what hifi. best read the owners forums of both sets in the lcd section.good luck with your decision.

I am going to buy this tv this week! Thank you for the recommendation.

One last question...As this tv has wifi...and DLNA, will it pick up videos from my pc and play them through the wifi. I am running a Ubuntu Pc and the vids are in .avi format?

Hope someone can help with this question!

I am going to buy the SAMSUNG LE40C652 which i believe is the same model from currys. I can also collect 3% from quidco and pick it up from the store too! I prefer a physical store just in case something goes wrong i can return there too.

ps Can i return if there are any dead pixels on the screen?

Can you go up to a 50"? The 50pk350 from LG is available for this price. 1080P plasma with an excellent picture for right on your budget, amazing screen for the money! Should provide much better motion clarity than the C650 an easier to use menu and its 10 inches bigger!

Btw avoid Currys for purchasing televisions they are nothing but trouble. Plenty of real shops to go to which will probably give a much better price and decent service. Had awful experiences with Currys with some earlier televisions sets i purchased and getting a replacement or a refund was like getting blood out of a stone. As far as dead pixels are concerned it does depend from shop to shop.

Last edited:
Can you go up to a 50"? The 50pk350 from LG is available for this price. 1080P plasma with an excellent picture for right on your budget, amazing screen for the money! Should provide much better motion clarity than the C650 an easier to use menu and its 10 inches bigger!

Btw avoid Currys for purchasing televisions they are nothing but trouble. Plenty of real shops to go to which will probably give a much better price and decent service. Had awful experiences with Currys with some earlier televisions sets i purchased and getting a replacement or a refund was like getting blood out of a stone. As far as dead pixels are concerned it does depend from shop to shop.

unfortunately the 50" will be too big for my room.
At least with Currys/Dixons i can always return it if i have a problem!

hello again,
picked up the c652 from dixons last week with quidco came in at £618 (may well be less now, hate to check!).
pleased to report no dead pixels, not sure on their policy with regard to such but mine was fine. excellent picture after tweaking a little, deep blacks good inbuilt media player, internet is ok, limited but i,m sure there will be updates to make it a little bit more flexible as regard picture size and adjustments (brightness / contrast/ picture size)

hello again,
picked up the c652 from dixons last week with quidco came in at £618 (may well be less now, hate to check!).
pleased to report no dead pixels, not sure on their policy with regard to such but mine was fine. excellent picture after tweaking a little, deep blacks good inbuilt media player, internet is ok, limited but i,m sure there will be updates to make it a little bit more flexible as regard picture size and adjustments (brightness / contrast/ picture size)

Can you stream stuff from your pc and watch it on your tv? avi files?

not a computer expert but with the media player you just plug in an external hard drive into one of the usb inputs and it will see pratically every type of file.
i do have a wdtv but i,m finding the options (via tools) with the inbuilt media player sufficent enough.
hope you are impressed, i,m sure you,re aware that instore all the settings will no doubt be rammed up!!

Last edited:
not a computer expert but with the media player you just plug in an external hard drive into one of the usb inputs and it will see pratically every type of file.
i do have a wdtv but i,m finding the options (via tools) with the inbuilt media player sufficent enough.

Can you wirelessly pickup any video files from your pc and stream them to your tv to watch?

I dont really want to plug in a hard drive. Id rather stream it direct from the pc...but if not that i would connect a mini pc to the back of it and play my stuff from there!

only had the tv for a week now so still playing with it and as yet to really discover it,s capabilities regarding streaming direct from a pc. there is a thread here on the forums
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1229677-samsung-c650-owners-thread.html
maybe the answer lies there.
i,m aware that you can purchase a samsung wireless usb / dongle for around £50 same price as the one required for the sony ex.( i,m just using the ethernet connection which is free!!)

only had the tv for a week now so still playing with it and as yet to really discover it,s capabilities regarding streaming direct from a pc. there is a thread here on the forums
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1229677-samsung-c650-owners-thread.html
maybe the answer lies there.
i,m aware that you can purchase a samsung wireless usb / dongle for around £50 same price as the one required for the sony ex.( i,m just using the ethernet connection which is free!!)

Yep i am also currently reading that thread. Unfortunately i do not have an ethernet port to connect to. The Mrs is very strict on the "no wires policy". :)

Please post here if you manage get the streaming working on your tv! look forward to your response.

slightly off topic but does anyone know if Dixons are doing the £100 off old tv deal that most shops seem to be doing these days?

Also what is the best wall mount for this the Samsung 650/652?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom