• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TV for £400 help

SolefeverX

Established Member
Hello. I'm currently looking for a TV for my gran. She will only use it for SD. I have been looking at the Panasonic TX-P42U30B for £399 and just wanted to know if anyone has any input on the TV or any other suggestions. Max I can spend is £400

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Would you say there is anything better in the price range?

No not IMO its just the lack of a decent filter means if there's a window opposite or the room gets very bright you may be better with LCD, otherwise U30 all the way. Plasma is closer to the CRT picture she may be used to and better foe SD IMO.

SolefeverX

Established Member
only one windows in the room and its off to the side of the TV, so i dont think refelctions will be a problem. Thanks for the help :smashin:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
No worries go take a look at one, build quality for such a cheap sets very good and the PQ fantastic. Comet had the ST30 for 499 sadly up to 549 now so quite a bit more, but IMO is the best value set this year. The U30 isn't that far off though especially if its just for SD.

russ331

Established Member
The U30 has the most reflective screen of any TV I've ever seen.

Granted that a showroom isn't a suitable environment in which to judge a TV, however, in that arena the U30 is a mirror.

Your Gran will doubtless want to watch tv with the lights on at night. The location of the lamps may cause reflection issues.

This could be avoided by opting for the next model up the Panasonic range... the S30. It's £450 but worth stretching the budget. It also has good reviews from AVForums, TrustedReviews, etc.

The U30 hasn't been reviewed, so it's performance in objective terms is 'unproven'.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom