TV/FM - Diplex or two cables?

rowlandhills

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to work out exactly what should be in the bundle of cables which I'll be running to each room in my new house. I had been planning to run two CT100 cables, terminating in a double "F" connector plate in each room (along with some Cat5 and other stuff). These would be used for TV and FM signals (or possibly using one for a composite signal if required).

However, I don't seem to be able to find any double faceplates which are not diplexed (to allow running TV and FM over one coax cable).

Are there any disadvantages to just running one cable and having a diplexed output?

Thanks

As FM and UHF (TV) pass are both in different frequency ranges so they can pass down the same cable with little or no additional degridation.

The advantages to diplexing them together are:

1) as you have found, difficult to source double (called twin) outlet plates rather than diplexers.

2) Most anplifiers you find now are either diplexing or pass both frequency ranges.

One not of caution, any diplexer you get, make sure it is power passing. The buzz words to ask / look for are 'Screened & Un-Isolated' This will allow any future 'sky eye' remote control type devices be remote powered from the rest of the system.

Chris

Cool. Thanks for that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom