TV & FM Aerials the same?

J

Jpfahy

I was wondering if the TV Aerial Co-Ax that I have coming into the back of my TV+Video can also be used as the FM Radio Aerial for my AV Reciever?

:confused:

If not, what is the best method for getting a good reception??

Thanks (blatant newbie poster)

Jpf

No they are not.

But you can get an fm antenna attachment to fit to your existing aerial and use the same cable, you then get a wall plate with tv and fm connections and this also splits the signals.

JSW,
Are these attachments difficult to fit?
I don't fancy doing any intricate stuff while hanging onto my chimney for dear life ;)

They are only a couple of bolts you need to tighten it to your original aerial.

I'll try and find you a pic of one.

take a look here: http://www.diy.com/bq/templates/con...n/howtos/installTVFMaerialsoutlets/main.jhtml

At B & Q Warehouse you can get the omni directional attachment and an exterior diplexer, both should take you all of 15 minutes to fit. Then back indoors and fit the new wall plate with diplexer again a couple of minutes.

If you dont want to go up to your original aerial you can install the FM one in the loft and drop a cable down the outside wall and come back in where your original aerial enters, then replace the wallpoint with a non diplexer one as you dont need to split the signal as they are on seperate cables.

It really depends what stations you want to pick up.
If they are local and fairly strong, you may find that simply fitting a diplexer to the incoming TV aeriel lead and a pair of flyleads )one to the TV, one to the receiver) will suffice. There may be some signal loss to the TV as well though, so if you are in a weak TV signal area already...
They are only a few quid. Maplin do one for a fiver, FE27E.
B&Q will probably have the same thing too.

If you want to pick up distant/weaker stations, you'll need a proper aeriel and downlead (as well as a good tuner of course :) )

You can also fit an FM aeriel and use a diplexer at both ends, so you can use the same downlead - but IMO if you have to go to the trouble of fixing a new aeriel to the chimney, you may as well fit a new downlead while you are at it - it probably won't cost much more than the pair of diplexers anyway, and you'll be certain of no degradation to the TV signal from any diplexers.

A diplexer looks just like a Y splitter (in fact it's just a modded Y splitter), but it has some components in it to "split" the VHF FM and UHF TV signals.

over here in good old ireland, VHF is used for both TV and radio.

I use the same downlink from the TV aerial to feed the RF tuner , a digibox and the FM reciever in my amp and they all work fine. Probably wouldn't pass muster for a real radiophile but its still the best tuner in the house : tiny amount of background noise. However i get pretty good TV reception ( the gonedigital box actually gets a 90% stable signal with no physical connection tothe aerial anyway!)

Blooming heck!!

On Digital's signals must have been much stronger than I was led to believe if you could pick them up in Bermuda!

:D :D

My 'H' aerial wasn't an 'H' anymore so I paid someone else to risk their lives putting a new omni aerial up instead. I now get 2 new stations (both pop crap though) and it only cost 28quid all in. Look in yellow pages, their are loads of folk do it.:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom