• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Tv Filter/Amplifier Boxes Keep Failing - please help!

Lee Gerard

Novice Member
Hi

I have a Labgear tv amplifier box with built in filters fitted with UHF aerial input and 3 TVs output. Was working perfectly with perfect signal strength and quality.

After a couple of days, the signal on all 3 TVs went, so the box had obviously failed. The light on the amplifier box was showing green, however, all of the cables were still connected so it had obviously failed.

I returned the box and swapped it for an identical replacement, and after a couple of days exactly the same thing happened again.

Can anyone advise as to what's happening? Could it be some kind of power surge, or may be a fault with the connection at the aerial end?

FYI I cut the plug and wired the box directly into an electrical switch box the first time and plugged the unit straight into a wall socket the second time, so it can't be a fault with the electric socket used.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lee

winston2010

Prominent Member
After a couple of days, the signal on all 3 TVs went, so the box had obviously failed. The light on the amplifier box was showing green, however, all of the cables were still connected so it had obviously failed.
Not obvious at all. Modern electronics is fairly reliable and as the same has happened with 2 units I would be looking elsewhere.

Is your aerial still in place and pointing in the right direction? Has water got into the aerial cable? As JayCee says try bypassing the unit.

Lee Gerard

Novice Member
It could be...try bypassing the aerial amp by connecting the aerial to one of the downleads.
Thanks for getting back to me. I'll try that. Funny enough the box came back this afternoon after failing for a day, although I'm sure it will go again. Makes me think it is some kind of loose connection.

Lee Gerard

Novice Member
Not obvious at all. Modern electronics is fairly reliable and as the same has happened with 2 units I would be looking elsewhere.

Is your aerial still in place and pointing in the right direction? Has water got into the aerial cable? As JayCee says try bypassing the unit.
Aerial appears to be in the same direction. Will try bypassing the box if it goes again (signal came back today, although sure it will go again).

Railway

Established Member
I have the 8 way Labgear distribution amplifier with separate psu and after about a year or so I started getting pixilation on some muxes. The lights were on on the psu and amp. I investigated and found a bulging capacitor (causing ripple/noise) in the PSU, replaced and all was ok! I doubt that's the problem in this case with new units but...........

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom