1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV & DVD players calibration

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Benfica, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I really don't know what to do. I've post this on DVD players forum, but got no response.

There must be someone in here who can tell me what to do !

I have a CRT TV 16:9 from Sony, and 3 DVD players:
    - Onkyo DV535
    - Pioneer 575
    - Pioneer DVR-5100 (this is a DVD recorder).

My question is: I do I calibrate my TV and DVD players in order to get the same (or closest to that) image in my TV when playing the same DVD from each of the 3 DVD players mentioned ?

I can't say that there is a HUGE diference in my actual setup, but there is some.

My 3 DVD players are connect to my TV through a 3 way RGB scart switch box (my TV has only one RGB scart input). They are all in the default configurations regarding picture adjustments.

I have calibrated my TV using some advices / tips mentioned in some specialized magazines, wich at that time proved to improve a lot on the picture quality.

Can you guys help me out ? From where do I start ?

Note: I've ordered on-line the DVE (Digital Video Essentials), but not received it yet.

Thanks in advance.

2. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok ... no answers until now .... can I presume this is a stupid question ?

If not, please someone care to help me ?

My DVE is on the way ...

Best regards

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello Benfica. :)

Sorry you've had no replies, but this is a UK based Forum and your name may be putting some people off! :laugh:

Not being a football supporter, I'll have a go:

My understanding is that the DVE disk is for setting up your TV.

Using its test signals, you can adjust picture size and geometry for the various formats, along with brightness, colour and contrast.

I'm not sure what you mean by "setting up your DVD players".

Apart from possibly level changes, I'm not aware that you can adjust these for picture size, geometry etc.

I'm not familiar with your models, but are you saying they have a menu with adjustments like the TV?

Please post back with further details and I'm sure someone can assist.

4. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have to change it then .... :laugh:

There are things like brightness, colour and contrast that I can adjust in my DVD players.

My problem is:

1) What DVD player do I choose to make my fisrt picture adjustments in my TV ? (note: I know then that this DVD Player / TV combination will be OK)

2) Should then I begin with the 2nd DVD Player and do the adjustments on that one ? And then the 3rd DVD Player ?

Is this the right procedure ?

Or should I just use one of them to adjust my TV and have all the three DVD players set to default settings ?

My objective is to have a picture that is "as equal as it can be" from each DVD player.

Thanks in advance.

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello again Benfica,

It's down to personal preference, but I would have thought that you should choose one of your DVD players as the "main" one and set up the TV using the DVE disk in that.

When you're happy that all is to your liking, make whatever adjustments that are available in the other two players to match the first.

I'm not sure why you are so concerned that they are the same, when you can only use one player at any one time!

Surely the aim must be to get a satisfactory set-up with each one, even though they may be slightly different.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

6. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, thanks Tight Git !

I've open a ticket at videoessentials.com and here is the answer from them:

"
    THank you for your inquiry regarding "Digital Video Essentials." The issue that you descirbe is quite common and often a difficult one to accomodate without proper instrumentation. Basically you would want to first calibrate each DVD Player so that each DVD Player has the proper output levels. To do this you would want ot have a waveform monitor/vectorscope - quite costly. For now the next alternative would be to find out which one of your players doesn't have adjustability - meaning which player doesn't have separate brightness, contrast, color, tint, and sharpness controls. Once you have determine which player does not have the most adjustability use it to calibrate the display. Remember to set the player up to the best of your ability, go through the manuals and the menu system to do this.

Once the DVD Player is setup the best you can calibrate the display to this DVD Player. After you are satisfied that the player and display are as accurate as you can make them place the DVD into one of the other players and using the same test patterns adjust the DVD player's controls for brighntess, contrast, color, tint, ect. to make the other player match your setting of the original player. Then repeat this for the last player and you should be as close as you can make them match.

Regards,

David Abrams
    Joe Kane Productions
    Project Coordinator
    "

Basically it is what you were saying. I've just received the DVE, so tonight it's time to work !

Thanks

7. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, what happened ?

I've started by doing the picture adjustments im my TV using the Onkyo DV535 player as reference.
    I've adjusted brightness, contrast, sharpness and color (no more adjustments availlable on my TV set), following DVE advices.

Note: Regarding color adjustments, it seem that my TV is OK regarding Blue and Red, but not so OK regarding green. With the DVE it comes a filter that you use to adjust color, and the pattern that you should see using the green filter it is not the one I saw. Problem that perhaps only using service menu or other type of adjustment (specialized) could be solved.

After that, what can I say ? What an amazing picture. Really 3D as I never saw before (used LOTR - Return of the King). I was perfectly amazed !

I then used the DVE with the other to players (Pioneer 575 and DVR-5100) and the adjustments made in my TV were almost "fine" for them, using players default settings.

Then I've played all the reference patterns that comes with DVE in my Onkyo player. To my surprise, there is a resolution pattern (vertical bars, alternate green and pink, starting large from left until very tiny in the right), wich when played in my Onkyo player I can only see the bars in the left half of the screen and no bars in the half right of the screen. Big disapointment !

Today's exercise: make TV adjustments using pioneer DV575 as main player.
    Without any changes I could see all the bars of that resolution pattern. Now, I have great expectations to see the final result after adjustments in TV have have been done.

So, it looks my choices will be:
    - use Onkyo player to play CDs and musical DVDs (DD5.1 and DTS).
    - use my pioneer 575 player for films DVDs, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-R/+R.
    - use my DVR-5100 only to record and not to play.

BTW, the pioneer DVR-5100 playing the resolution pattern mention before was the best among the 3, as far as I could see. This was a very fast test, because there was no time left .... my wife was asking me already when she could watch some TV ! I have to repeat it.

From what I've found, if you don't use something like DVE, or similiar, perhaps you are never going to take the most out of your gear !

Best regards