Tv divx play from usb from a home Network

djmint

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi i have a tv that plays divx off a usb stick just wounded if their was a way i could link to home network ie have an external hard drive with both an usb port and an Ethernet port so i could add files to on the network and then watch the on the tv via usb will this work and can you get an hard drive with both ports that will work at the same time
thanks for you time

most people would have a NAS device connected to the router, enabling transfer of files from the PC to the NAS, and then access to the files over the network to network enabled devices, does your TV have a ethernet port.....?

the other problem with NAS devices is that any USB port on them is for backing up or extra storage as opposed to streaming files.......

i cant think of any way to keep an HDD plugged into your TV and get files on it from other sources at the same time, without some sort of network set up.....

someone might though.........

It's not possible to have a simultaneous USB and network link active in the way you want so your best course of action is a media player that doubles as a simple NAS that you can copy files too.

The WDTV Live Hub comes with a 1TB built in HDD and so just plug it into your network and copy files across to it. If you have your own HDD spare you can use a player like this and install the HDD into it.

hi no my tv does not have a Ethernet port
thanks for you help will try setting something else

Your TV does not need an ethernet port, the media player plugs into the HDMI port on the TV. You connect the media player via ethernet or wireless to your network.

I'm sure I read somewhere that a device like a dongle, but which appears to the host (your TV) as a USB memory stick but which actually sourced its files from the WiFi network, was in development. If that does become available, it will open all USB playback TVs up to media streaming.

I remember reading something about that, it did come out & Engadget got their hands on it but it didn't work well though my memory could be wrong if someone can find the article.

I'm sure I read somewhere that a device like a dongle, but which appears to the host (your TV) as a USB memory stick but which actually sourced its files from the WiFi network, was in development. If that does become available, it will open all USB playback TVs up to media streaming.

As the world moves more towards HD stuff the wireless connection inst good enough, yet.........so maybe it might not be developed further if the majority of peolpe want it for streaming video, which for TV setups is likely.........

There is talk of super wireless though were a slot of the larger frequencies, used by television broadcasters will be allocated, imagine, watching your HD movies from your home network across the country....................:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom