TV decision is driving me nuts.... which would you choose?

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Any help would be great guys, I am completely on the fence with 3 Units just now

The LG CX65 or the Panny HZ980B 65" / HZ1000 (better panel than 980)

Please help someone, the LG has a lot of the features I want but heard some are faulty,

The Panny is what we’ve always had over many years and grown to love them....but don’t have the features

Urghhh this is so hard!

Last edited:

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Yeh bud, the 2.1 is very appealing, and the cost of the LG CX 65” at present has dropped to £1899, which is really tempting me.

Although the Panasonic’s have HDR10+ but the LG doesn’t, and I’ve been reading more negative reviews about the CX than the Panasonics.... so on the fence :(

We watch Films, TV and game on Series X

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Lip sync is an issue on LG TVs. I regret the day that I bought mine. Never again. Pity, because that aside, the lump isn’t too bad.

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Thanks, yes was reading Lip Sync is an issue, also some LG units are showing Lines

I might just stick with Panny, and see what the prices are like when the new units come out, anyone know when the 2021 will all be released?

leckie

Your mileage will vary I guess. I moved across from a Panasonic plasma to LG OLED’s years ago and have been super happy. I have a C6 and CX, both great. I had to tweak the C6 a little with my Playbar for lip sync but was fine afterwards. Had zero lip sync issues with the CX.

Personally wouldn’t worry about HDR10+, Dolby Vision is more important.

I don‘t think you’d regret going for the Panasonic, 120fps is really nice, but if it‘s not 100% needed then don’t worry about it.

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Been reading the new Panny JZ2000 will probably be around £4k+ for the 65"

Although I could see that cost more due to all the new features, and with it being brand new :(

leckie

Yeah the cost over the LG's always seems to be a bit of a kicker. I ended up getting my 65CX for £1699 and a £100 John Lewis voucher, can't really argue with that. Couldn't convince myself anything else was worth more, and like you said wanted the newer features for the Series X.

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
My Panny TX-65GZ950B is sort of reflective,

I watched a guy on YouTube showing how reflective the LG is and it was pretty bad, you could see how ceiling light when watching TV

leckie

My Panny TX-65GZ950B is sort of reflective,

I watched a guy on YouTube showing how reflective the LG is and it was pretty bad, you could see how ceiling light when watching TV
Yeah, if there’s a light on behind the TV and you and the bulb is exposed, it‘ll show up. I‘m not sure what Panasonic OLEDs are like though.

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Cheers bud

How do you find the picture quality, like Sky Q in HD, and watching Movies ?

just wish I could get into a store and see it live in person :(

fluxedman

Cheers bud

How do you find the picture quality, like Sky Q in HD, and watching Movies ?

just wish I could get into a store and see it live in person :(

The reflections can sometimes be an issue especially with the OLEDS (there all reflective) its just the oled tech sadly.

But sometimes you can get away with it for example I have my LG CX wall mounted centre of my room, small window on left and light bulb centre of room but none of them can be seen on my screen at all, guess its just since I tend to be seated and watch from a slight angle on the left.

You can also get tilted wall mounts or tv stands with tilt features, this way you maybe able to angle it better to reduce any glare or reflection.

You maybe able to use spot lights so the lights aim away from the screen or energy saving bulbs or even tinted bulbs with calmer lights to reduce the issue. Even heavier netting or 2 lots of netting can reduce window reflection also. Some try blinds even.

Its sadly one of those things you just won't know till its in your room thing, if you are from the UK you usually get 30 days (double check) with your retailer to return goods at least.

Other things you may wish to consider is the timing, if you watch day time telly it gets dark
3-4pm anyhow due to winter period so may not matter since you close your curtains or blinds earlier in the day.

LG CXs are really good, sure they have issues but the firmware's are improving the set greatly and fixing issues we now have excellent black performance and its only getting better and at least its still got the best specs out of all the OLEDs and its the cheapest.

If you do get to a store to see the OLEDs remember they have lots of bright lights and tvs so its going to naturally look terrible. Anyhow the above is just my general thoughts, its your call.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom