TV controls unresponsive with HDMI input

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by kshots, Feb 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kshots

kshots
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all, I just picked up an LG 47LX6500 (47" 3D LED LCD TV) from ebay, and I'm having the oddest problems with it. When I have an HDMI input connected (tried with a Miracast dongle and with my ancient PS3), the TV will power on via remote control or button push on the local TV controls... but shortly after it initializes, it beeps once, and the remote controls go dead, and the local TV controls also go dead. Whatever is currently being displayed continues displaying properly (including audio), but the controls are dead. I have to unplug the TV from the wall to get it to turn off.

I have also observed that shortly before the controls die, once the TV turned the volume all the way down before beeping and disabling the controls, and once it turned the volume all the way up before shutting down the controls (luckily, there was no audio source at the time). I have also observed on one occasion a "function not supported" flashing on the screen before the controls died. It's behaving like it's being spammed with control messages just before it shuts down, and only with an HDMI input plugged in.

When I use the VGA input (all other inputs are dormant), the TV behaves as expected (and I get no beep after initialization) - I can go through all the setup menus and test all the functions, browse the media library on the network, etc.

I've read about various issues with the controls where the remote input gets "dirty" and requires cleaning (a can of air into the hole has resolved this issue for many, and some gutsy few have used WD40 successfully), but I have no input for the remote control - the only input I have is an RS-232 port (which may be my plan B, I can probably write up a short and simple app to control the TV via that port if it works when the local controls and remote don't).

The TV has a beautiful picture that I'm 100% satisfied with, but the dead controls bother me. Anyone ever encounter this? Is there a "quick fix" for it? Can it be repaired at a "reasonable" price, or should I pack the TV up and return it to the seller as a broken item (it was purchased knowing that it had a damaged stand, but that the TV was fully operational (14 day return policy))?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,567
    Have you tried a replacement HDMI lead?

3. Philip4242

Philip4242
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Is that some kind of 'display' or 'kiosk' mode, I wonder ?

The User Guide should tell you how to change this - Or perhaps a factory reset does it ?

If you haven't got the User Guide, look here

LG Manuals, Software & Firmware Updates | LG UK

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,567
    Probably "Store Demo" mode Philip.
    Page 67 of the US manual explains.

5. kshots

kshots
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried multiple cables and ports... what do you mean by "lead"?
    I've verified that the TV is in home mode, and not in its store display mode.

Last night I was able to use it with my shield plugged in for several hours, and only when I placed the shield next to the IR sensor and controls to recharge did it suddenly beep and become unresponsive (EMI, maybe?)

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,567
    What you refer to as "cords" (cables) we in the UK/Europe often call them "leads"
    What’s a "shield"

7. kshots

kshots
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A shield is an nvidia gaming console (NVIDIA SHIELD | Ultimate Gaming and Portable Entertainment) that streams your library of PC games to any television in range (802.11n), as well as several games that nvidia offers free over the internet as streaming video (witcher 2, darksiders, alan wake, etc), as long as it can take a controller similar to an xbox-360 controller. It runs android and also places such apps on the TV, though the usefulness of that may be dubious as the local screen (and therefore useful touch support) is deactivated when placed on the TV.

8. Philip4242

Philip4242
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I would have normally quoted from the User manual myself, but that model doesn't appear to be on the UK LG website - Not surprising if the OP is on the other side of the pond ! :facepalm:

I think it should be mandatory for all query-type Posts to start with the Poster's country of location, if they are NOT in the UK.

This Forum is based in the UK; and it's not unreasonable that Posters should be aware of that fact, and make the necessary declaration of their own location when they post.

This would save MUCH confusion over Manufacturer's Model Names and Numbers, as well as things like cable service-provider names, many of which are completely unknown in the UK.

I.e., there's absolutely NO point in entering into a discussion with a Poster about which 'whatever' is 'Best', if a suggested Brand or Model of 'whatever' is not available in their country !!!

Confusion amongst our transatlantic cousins is not helped by the existence of the almost-identically named www. avsforum.com (Yes ! - It IS only the position of the 's' which differentiates the 2 web addresses !), which IS US-based.

I've previously suggested that the banner for this Forum should read

'The No.1 [UK-based] Home Entertainment Community'

but this was (graciously) rejected by the Forum Founder.

Perhaps I should organise a poll amongst the UK-based (only !) Members ? ;)