TV Connections in new house

Ian1010

Novice Member
Hi,
Looking for some advice on a new house with TV connections.
In the lounge there is a white box with plug and socket with 2 cat5e sockets (where you would assume the TV to go) on the side a socket which is labelled “BT”, “HDMI” and “Data” and in a cupboard 4 labelled “HDMI” sockets (which are actually cat5e sockets), 4 labelled “data” which are cat5e sockets and the 2 coax sockets for the satellite box to connect to. Am I missing something here, but how will this work with the satellite box in the cupboard and why are the sockets labelled HDMI when they’re cat5e sockets ?

Attachments

• 85A76704-6F18-434D-9CD5-C90460EAAB8F.jpeg
    85A76704-6F18-434D-9CD5-C90460EAAB8F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 335
  • 9662FEE2-E1DB-4745-BEED-46E148AA2E50.jpeg
    9662FEE2-E1DB-4745-BEED-46E148AA2E50.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 328
  • 46D4577D-A149-4665-BF92-2511D6621F65.jpeg
    46D4577D-A149-4665-BF92-2511D6621F65.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 464

rorton

im assuming previous owner used some kind of HDMI over CAT5/6 converter - hence the HDMI is over 2 of the RJ45 sockets.

Perhaps in the cupboard was the sky box, with the coax connected to it, and then from there, the connection went into the RJ45 wall plates labelled HDMI, and then out to the end points

Ian1010

Novice Member
Hi, many thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it’s a brand new house so never been used, the electrician who fitted it has just said “you put all your boxes in the cupboard and plug the tv in and go”
So I’m trying to work out how this would work as I cannot imagine you can watch TV from just plugging it into the wall with/without an Ethernet cable? Is there such a thing as a cat5e to HDMI converter?
Other issue is you would surely need the cupboard door kept open to use remote control or install one of those IR eyes near the cupboard?

rorton

Im just trying to 'count up' the connections.

So you have a single plug and a plate with 2 RJ45 sockets and no label on them

Then have another plate with 3 RJ45 sockets (2 Labelled as HDMI and 1 as data, the other is a BT phone point)

Then we have a cupboard with 2 plates with RJ45, 4 Labelled as HDMI, and 4 Labelled as data,

Do you have more outlets like this around the house in any other rooms

TO answer your other question, yep, you can get a HDMI to CAT5 converter, i asked the location of the boxes, cause if this is all in the same room, it seems strange to use CAT5 to HDMI, it would get used on longer HDMI runs, perhaps the Sky box under the stairs, and a TV in the bedroom for example.

Possible you can give an idea where all this is, if there are any other outlets anywhere

Im thinking the cupboard with the 4 x HDMI and 4x x DATA is your 'central point' and wiring goes off from here, but bemused by there are 2 CAT5 at the TV point - if HDMI is using 2 CAT5, then you have no data for the TV if using a smart TV for example.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Suspect cupboard may also have housed the router? With patch leads to the four 'data outlets' around the house?

Looks like two hdmi-cat5x2 balun senders and then hdmi receivers in two locations to control the sat box probably with IR return back to cupboard to control the box. Pity the previous owners didn't leave the kit or detail what it was so you could replicate...
HDMI Over Cat Baluns - HDMI Distribution - Extenders is one source of such kit - there are many other suppliers of similar kit.

Next will be to find if it's $ky HD or $ky Q (could be freesat of course). A look at the dish LNB may be all that is needed.

Ian1010

Novice Member
Guys, thank you so much so far for the help. Just to be clear it’s a new house and the builder/original electrician haven’t been helpful so far. So here’s a diagram as best as I can replicate my photos I took of the plug sockets and their locations in the one room, lounge. There is only one other socket upstairs in one bedroom. The one that has 3-pin plug and 2x cat5e sockets. The sky dish hasn’t been installed yet, this is coming in the next few days. (BTW I didn’t know there was a difference now between Sky and Sky Q?) do they use different dishes/LNB’s??

Attachments

• BF927AD5-FB3A-445D-B3C9-02F17043AEE9.jpeg
    BF927AD5-FB3A-445D-B3C9-02F17043AEE9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 278

rorton

Suspect cupboard may also have housed the router? With patch leads to the four 'data outlets' around the house?

Looks like two hdmi-cat5x2 balun senders and then hdmi receivers in two locations to control the sat box probably with IR return back to cupboard to control the box. Pity the previous owners didn't leave the kit or detail what it was so you could replicate...
HDMI Over Cat Baluns - HDMI Distribution - Extenders is one source of such kit - there are many other suppliers of similar kit.

Next will be to find if it's $ky HD or $ky Q (could be freesat of course). A look at the dish LNB may be all that is needed.

Yep i was thinking same about the cupboard and broadband coming in there

rorton

Guys, thank you so much so far for the help. Just to be clear it’s a new house and the builder/original electrician haven’t been helpful so far. So here’s a diagram as best as I can replicate my photos I took of the plug sockets and their locations in the one room, lounge. There is only one other socket upstairs in one bedroom. The one that has 3-pin plug and 2x cat5e sockets. The sky dish hasn’t been installed yet, this is coming in the next few days. (BTW I didn’t know there was a difference now between Sky and Sky Q?) do they use different dishes/LNB’s??

Ok cool - so there are then 8 RJ45 sockets in the cupboard,

Then we have 3 in the lounge (HDMIx2 and Data), 2 where tv will be, and 2 in another room - so that's 7 RJ45 outlets around the house - wonder if there is another elsewhere then?

Im not getting the need for the plate with 3 RJ45 and a BT point - I'm also not sure if the sparky is planning on 2 CAT5 for a single HDMI, maybe only 1 connection for each.

You also dont have any COAX for a standard TV aerial either - not that that matters if your having Sky, but if you have a problem with Sky for example, you wouldn't have freeview to fall back on

rorton

im thinking something like this may help too - at least we can work out where each outlet goes as none are numbered...(unless you know someone you can borrow one from)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-network-cable-tester/93219

You would need 2 network cables to use with the above, plug one cable into a socket in the cupboard, other end into the small part of the tester, then another network cable into the bigger end of the tester, and then plug this into the different sockets in the rooms - press a button, and if it finds the other end, it will beep and show you all the pins that are connected so we can actually map out which socket in the cupboard goes to which outlet in the house, and put some corresponding labels on - just write on some masking tape for now. Plus you can check all the pins are connected, and connected properly - a chance that some may not be which wouldn't help when you start to plug in devices.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Guys, thank you so much so far for the help. Just to be clear it’s a new house and the builder/original electrician haven’t been helpful so far.
Well someone specified how/what to install where in the house keep at them (in fact I'd be pushing for them to supply the missing baluns!). It seems ill thought through though from your diagram. Makes no obvious sense to me how the cables route. I'd need to buzz them out!

Where are the other data outlet sockets?
No TVs in the bedroom(s)?
No UHF TV cables at all for Freeview tuners! (madness).

Are there any sat cable ends somewhere?
$ky installer will need to join to them or (more likely) drill through an outside wall to where you want the sat box installed and connect their cable direct to the box. $ky Q uses a different LNB to standard satellite receivers, but it's not an issue if you are getting a new install (the cables are the same).

Ian1010

Novice Member
1. “3 RJ45 & BT point” - I think this is for in case you wanted the tv in the corner and the phone in the corner? But not sure either.
So the only way at the moment to potentially watch TV is to purchase an HDMI to CAT5E converter, plug the HDMI cable from tv to converter box, and Ethernet cable from the converter box to one of the RJ45 sockets in the wall?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
So I’m trying to work out how this would work as I cannot imagine you can watch TV from just plugging it into the wall with/without an Ethernet cable?

Well, you can get TV over IP devices that stream the TV around the house from a central location (HDHomerun etc.) but that's no good if you're with a specific company that doesn't support it.

I'm not sure with Sky, don't they have mini boxes that are network connected or something?

Is there such a thing as a cat5e to HDMI converter?

There are two sorts.

One type uses a Cat5 cable as a replacement for an HDMI cable and just works as a point to point link.

The other converts HDMI signals to network traffic so they can be accessed anywhere on the network. Sometimes called HDMI over IP.

Ian1010

Novice Member
So an update -
1. The installers (building company/electrician) have just said that we need to purchase a Cat5 - HDMI converter and plug it into one of the HDMI outlets!!!! (Not really ideal)
2. The wall plate with the "2x HDMI, 1x DATA, 1x BT socket" was put lower down in the corner in case the householder wanted to put the TV on a table rather than mount on a wall! (therefore leaving the sockets in the middle of the wall!!!)
3. If plugging in/using a Cat5 - HDMI converter box, where does this get plugged in: to the TV and then to the wall or in the cupboard with the 4x HDMI outlets and into one of these? How do I know which socket to plug the ethernet cable into?
4. Are there any Cat5 - HDMI converters that don't require power because it is going to be cumbersome having this all behind the TV? Especially when the TV is a Samsung that uses a ONE CONNECT cable to a multi HDMI box unit and no HDMI port on the TV :-(
5. Because the Balun SAT receiver connectors are in the cupboard, would it be beneficial to get an HDMI wall plate over Cat5 with IR Repeater instead, rather than getting the SAT receiver connectors moved into the room? (Something like this)
6. Any other recommendations on HDMI over CAT5 IR Repeaters welcome.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Or if you're in the Sussex Area please let me know :)

rorton

you can get a HDMI to Cat5 which also does the IR, so i wouldn't worry about the item you linked to. You can then send the IR down through the converter into the cupboard and to the Sky Box.

Strange how they put 3 CAT5 in the corner but only 2 behind the tv, i would have thought they would have made some provision for a data connection behind the TV so you can get internet to the TV (suppose it would be wireless)

Did they say if they suggested using one of the HDMI converters that uses one or two cat 5 cables -

These HDMI converters are a box with a HDMI socket on, and then one or 2 RJ45 connections. You then use the wires in the wall to 'extend' the connection.

You will need one in the cupboard, and then the HDMI from the Sky will plug into this one, then from here you take one or 2 network cables and plug into one of the sockets (doesnt matter which, we need to get to the bottom of which one terminates where - see my post above about a tester)

then, you need the same again at the other end, with the network cable(s) coming out of the wall in the corresponding RJ45 socket, into a HDMI converter, then the HDMI connection on the converter goes into the TV - you using the wire in the wall to make the cable longer

Ian1010

Novice Member
you can get a HDMI to Cat5 which also does the IR, so i wouldn't worry about the item you linked to. You can then send the IR down through the converter into the cupboard and to the Sky Box.
How does this work, I've seen Wall Plates that appear to do this but I have absolutely no idea if what I'm looking at is the solution or not.
Strange how they put 3 CAT5 in the corner but only 2 behind the tv, i would have thought they would have made some provision for a data connection behind the TV so you can get internet to the TV (suppose it would be wireless)
So would I and unfortunately the installer is not being very helpful.
Did they say if they suggested using one of the HDMI converters that uses one or two cat 5 cables -
No unfortunately they didn't, however what is the benefit of using one with 1-ethernet and one with 2-ethernet cable connections?
I think we will need to install some wall faceplate with the HDMI port and an IR port because the Sky Box will be in the cupboard, we cannot move this without considerable disruption to the rewiring of the house and re-plastering I think. Something like this I believe would work?? This is the cheapest solution I've seen so far and assume all we do is put this behind the TV, and connect the Sky Box in the understairs cupboard and will be able to control the Sky box from this set up (However could this wall plate only be Cat6, I don't know if it's Cat5e or Cat6)
If someone would be able to Direct Message me to discuss further it would be very much appreciated.

rorton

im not recommending any of these products as I've never used them, but from what i just found...

This looks good in the fact that it uses a single cable to transmit the signal, and you only need a power supply at one end (in the cupboard) as it sends the power over the cable to the unit at the other end, so only one power supply needed - doesnt take care of the Infra Red though

This does IR and the HDMI in one unit, you have an 'Eye' that you put by the tv, which plugs into one of the units, and another eye connected to the other unit in the TV Cupboard with another eye that transmits the IR to the sky box:

An out of the box idea - if you had Sky Q, you can run 'Mini' boxes over a network connected to the master.

So, you could have the master box in the cupboard with the dish connected to it, and then a Mini box behind the TV, then just a network connection between them.

Its full 1080p signal and works well (i have a Sky q and 3 minis in my house - Sky Q main in the lounge, and then Minis in bedrooms/conservatory connected to large TV's)

You're 'wasting' the Main sky box, as it won't be connected to a TV, it will be acting like a server, so it takes the sky feed, has the hard disk installed, and send the signal to the Mini box.

The programme guide etc is all on the Mini box, and recordings you schedule get rumoured on the main box - could be another option.

Its an extra £12 per month to go Multiroom and use a mini, but it could get costly using all these expensive converters and no guarantee on signal quality (especially if the cable is of poor quality/not installed properly)

Ian1010

Novice Member
Again thank you for this. I think that Sky Q would be a great option, but way too expensive for what is needed :-(
I've just read, however, that the TV we have is a Samsung UE49KS8000 and that it claims to "Samsung’s new Smart Control remote automatically detects other devices such as set-top boxes or games consoles, so you don’t have to juggle multiple remotes" does this mean the STB can be controlled from the Samsung remote? I've never seen this in action, anyone used this??
I think that the option will be putting a wall plate with the HDMI/IR receiver in place behind the TV and the other in the cupboard connected to the Sky Box....
thanks for all your help everyone....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 16.08.49.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 16.08.49.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 250

Ian1010

Novice Member
I have one more question sorry.
Why are some Extenders using dual ethernet connectors and some single ethernet connectors? How do I know which Extender to buy?
How will I know if the Ethernet cabling through the house is Cat5e/6 or 7, because I see some extenders only work on certain types?
Thanks,

rorton

It’s about the bandwidth.
Cat5 carries less bandwidth than cat 6 than cat 7 etc

Technically it’s not cat anything until it’s been tested and certified end to end, ran properly with correct bend radius. Looking at the outlets they say cat5 on them, so I’m assuming it’s cat 5 throughout. Cat6 is slightly thicker and would be tighter to terminate. Could be anything the spark had on the van though. No guarantee it’s pure copper cable either, could be copper clad aluminium.

You could buy one and try it, send it back if it doesn’t work.

If it’s going to be cat5 then I think one of the 2 cable devices will have a better chance of working. But if it’s poor cable or poorly installed you may be disappointed either way.

Ian1010

Novice Member
Hi, so an update. I Connected an esynic hdmi Ethernet extender with IR repeater and connected it all via the house ports etc according to the instructions given, using the house cabling system but got an intermittent signal when on HD channels, and on most SD channels apart from BBC SD. (Black screen then signal). Could this be because of single RJ45 port not dual RJ45 or possibly not using cat6 cable (the product says cat6 but I read people had used CAT5e fine)?
I then connected it all using a direct RJ45 connection between the HDMI repeaters and got nothing?
I then connected the sat receiver directly to the TV and got full HD so it wasn’t an issue with the sat dish.
Any further ideas or anyone with more knowledge on HDMI/Ethernet repeaters please let me know.
Many thanks for any help.

Ian1010

Novice Member
Hi, yes sorry perhaps I hadn’t explained this in previous message, so I did both, connecting through the house (which worked but intermittently) and directly with my own cat5e RJ45 cables and it didn’t work at all. This was what was very strange as it didn’t work.

Ian1010

Novice Member
Hi all, so forgetting all that has passed, does anyone have any experience/ideas on which is the best HDMI over ethernet extenders (with IR Repeaters) or any extenders without IR repeaters and how to work the IR Repeater with the Sky box hidden away in a cupboard?
Secondly, does anyone know if you can get a Sky Q mini box and set it up without having to pay the £12/month subscription? I'm guessing not?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone