1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Competition query - for the Lawyers on the site!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Nov 17, 2004.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Can anyone help me out please, with this semi-legal question? I won't go into the particulars, but I am hoping that someone might know where I stand on this specific scenario. :confused:

A satellite TV channel ran an on-screen competition recently. The puzzle was shown on-screen, and viewers were invited to phone or text in with their answers. The problem was that the person who won the competition, actually got the wrong answer. (The option was to guess a figure.)

I phoned-in with what the correct answer should actually have been. The reason I know it was correct, is because I checked the solution some eight different times, just to make sure that I wasn't wrong, plus throughout the duration of the competition, there were several viewers who got it wrong, and we were then all given extra clues, to help guess the "correct" answer.

Anyway, where do I stand, legally? I entered the competition, as the prize was £18,700 cash!!!! :eek: :thumbsup: Each phone entry, cost me £1, and I must have dialled-in about 15 times that evening. When the winner got the "correct" answer, I was dumb-founded!

The second part of my query, was that the "winner" got the chance to spin a computerised wheel, with differing cash amounts. The values varied from £100 to £500, plus the Jackpot £18,700 prize and a Mystery Prize too. The wheel was spun, and when the "winner" said "Stop!", it took several seconds to stop physically slowing down, rather than actually coming to a complete, and immediate halt. As such, could she genuinely have won the Jackpot prize at all?

So:
    1) Can I actually complain that this quiz was invalid, for the simple reason that the genuine correct answer was not the answer the channel gave, and thus the viewers who entered the competition with the genuinely correct answer, were all deprived of the chance to enter and win? Including myself!
    2) Can the channel be sued, through the civil courts, for offering viewers the chance to win money, which they couldn't in fact win, because the correct answer that should have been given, was not what the channel say was correct?
    3) Could the Jackpot prize actually have been won at all, or was the wheel rigged, to prevent the large sum of money from ever being won, by anyone?
    4) By the very fact that the wheel was a computerised graphic, and that the winner had to say "Stop!", to stop the wheel, and the fact that the wheel didn't stop right there and then, do I have any comeback? The reason being, is that I believe, that the TV company could potentially rig the wheel, to stop wherever they want it too, and thus, save themselves having to splash out on giving away all that money?

All help would be gratefully appreciated, as I am genuinely very tempted to sue this channel, for running a very, very suspect competition, that technically could never actually be won!

Pooch
    (Feeling very angry at this channel!)

2. TBH1

TBH1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can't help you there, mate , but am with you - - - a lot of these so called 'competitions' have a ' all decisions are final and cannot be entered into' kind of thing, but in this case there appears to be at least some kind of mis-representation - -maybe even fraud. A lot of these 'phone the premium rate number' type of competitions are a joke; the answers so obvious and the people running them gonna be quids in.

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate you frustration - -and this kind of thing needs to be stopped - - -but how ???

Don't lose any sleep over it, but if you do have the time, pursue it - -I for one will be with you .

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm sure that competitions are legally governed through some rules & regulations. Your first port of call should be citizen's advice bureau.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    I was wondering if you could get in touch with Ofcom and see what they could do.