1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV choice problem - What is HDTV and should I worry about it?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Mojo Jojo, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been spending quite a lot of time trying to choose a new TV. I'm still swaying between a 36" CRT or 37"-42" Plasma, but I am unsure as to what exactly HDTV is and whether I should worry about it.

I'm not setting myself a budget just yet as I want to be sure I'm getting the right set. At present I'm using Sky digital for my channels and in time I'll be introducing a new TV, amp, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is;

1. What is HDTV and should I wait for it?
    2. Will CRT or Plasma give me the 'futureproofing' I'll need?
    3. If anyone has already been through this process and feels they have found the answer I'll be pleased to hear the outcome.

I'm sure there are many readers of these forums who are as confused as I am.

Thanks in advance

Mojo

2. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless I'm mistaken, High Definition TV was advertised a few years back as the future of tv. But sadly it simply isn't going to happen for the PAL system that we use.
    Pal uses 625 lines. HDTV uses 1000 + lines. The picture quality would have been amazing, I guess.

:(

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    High Definition TV is a distant dream in the UK.

The picture of H/D is sensational, recently saw a bunch of them in San Fransisco at the Metreon Center, also Philips and other big companys usually show them off at the (Live) shows at Earls Court.

so dont Let H/D influence your TV buying.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDTV is a very high definition TV broadcast signal that is a replacement for the traditional NTSC signal in the US. I seem to recall there are some other countries that have variants of HDTV as well - although not the same technical standard as is used in the US. Here in the UK, we can't even get all our broadcasts in anamorphic widescreen yet, let alone getting them in HDTV. There is nothing concrete on the table regarding HDTV here, so it
    won't happen for many many many years. Although I'm sure it has to inevitably happen eventually, it certainly shouldn't affect your purchasing decisions now. By the time we get HDTV, I'm sure that whatever TV you buy now will have been retired from use due to old age :)

As everyone else has said, forget HDTV and don't factor it into your buying decisions.

Regarding CRT or Plasma - you don't need to worry about future proofing. Whichever type of display you buy will continue to be compatible for the foreseeable future. :)