TV Choice Guidance appreciated

fortknoxcj

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I posted just over a year ago for some guidance on buying some low end 55inch TVs. It was really helpful at the time. However, when I came to purchase i went against some of the guidance a bit. This wasn't through ignorance, it was due to the budget I had some of the funds had to be used elsewhere. Due to that i ended buying 2x Linsar 55UHD520 for £250 each.

Roll on just over 12 months and both TV's developed faults (different faults). Whilst they were working the viewing experience has been fine considering the price, just not great reliability given both broke. One has been repaired and I have that back. The other is beyond repair and therefore I have a credit and am on the look for a replacement and obviously will have to put some money towards it.

I know the first piece of advice will be wait until BF, which I accept, but for the purpose of recommendations assume i am replacing immediately( Mrs is already on my case to sort it out)

Usage is as follows:-

It will be the main tv in the lounge
Viewing distance is 9ft straight in front, with second sofa closer, but at 40 degree angle.
TV unit will take a 65inch, if that was the recommendation.
Main use will be watching Sky Q, through a mini box (shape of the house means the main box is a different room)
Netflix gets watched from time to time (via sky box)
X-box one does get used by the kids occasionally on the tv, but more often they use their own tvs.
I'll likely treat myself to the next-gen gaming console in the new year, but i'm not a massive gamer. Be lucky if i got on it one night a week!
Will also likely have a firestick going in for some streaming of IPTV, but nowhere near the main use.

Accept i'll need to put in an additional £200-300 to get something.

OLED's are out of budget, although the cheapest 55 I can find is the Philips at £989 (currys so only 2 year guarantee) would this be worth sticking the extra on a credit card? If the answer is yes an OLED is worth it but not this particular one, then we are jumping up to £1,300 which is not where i want to be.

Hope that is enough info for some input! TIA

Beginning steps to take before choosing an LCD TV:

Once you have determined which panel type is best suited to your viewing conditions it makes narrowing down your choices easier.

As for whether an OLED like the Philips OLED754 is worth it? Here's a comparison:

Most people would agree It's certainly is a massive step up in picture quality compared to LCD TVs, especially ones you can buy for £500 instead of £1000 but its up to you whether you are happy paying off the debt or not.

If you want the most future proofing with gaming in the future you should consider buying at a later time and consider the LG CX OLED when the price comes down. Maybe even the LG BX will be working good with next gen gaming VRR.

With no option other to buy now your options are very limited. 2020 stock is too expensive to recommend, if the Philips you found is the OLED754 its great value for money since its a 2019 model. 2019 models are hard to find now leaving us mostly with overpriced 2020 stock.

Thanks for the reply. I pasted the model of the phillips, then cut it and didn't re re paste. Its
55OLED754/12

I think, if that TV was available from RS, Costco or JL then i'd probably bite the bullet. But spending nearly double what initially intended and only getting a 2 year warranty seems foolish. Also unless im wrong it doesn't have HDMI 2.1

Looking at the guides you've kindly included, IPS and OLED are most suited to the lounge layout.

If you value viewing angles, yes. An OLED like that Philips would be best. Hard to recommend anything else as its all overpriced 2020 stock. You'd have to settle for paying more for less of a TV now.

And no, the Philips doesn't have HDMI 2.1. To get a good all round TV with HDMI 2.1 and good viewing angles you're looking at the LG CX OLED (maybe the BX, but we don't know how that will work yet) or the Samsung Q85T LCD TV.

Other models either lack HDMI 2.1, lack good viewing angles, or just aren't all round good TVs.

@Sloppy Bob apologies, this is my own thread.

Sorry to be clear, yes I pay for SkyQ and have UHD subscription, albeit there are currently only a handful of channels (sport) that are UHD.
Furthermore, it’s only the main sky Q box which allows UHD the mini Sky Q boxes don’t. For me to have the main box in the lounge I’d need to get some additional wiring done ( which sounds like is the way to go)

Then the answer will be I will have more 4K content being viewed more regularly.

Netflix I could use the app on the tv rather than skybox so that’s easy workaround.

Yes.

What's your question?

Is it you want an OLED with HDMI 2.1, in that case, you're way out of the budget with an LG CX or GX, maybe the BX which will be cheaper as Dodgexander alluded to.

HDMI 2.1 for gaming is really an unknown just now and I'm not the right person to give out advice on it as I'm not a gamer and have an AVR, so have no need for it currently.

I'm not convinced, certainly in the next year or so, how important it is. How many games are going to do 4K120fps?
High-end PC's that cost many, many multiples of an Xbox or PS would struggle with that.

Thank you.

Understood on gaming, and ill park that.

I've just phoned sky and booked in a relocate of the main sky q box, which if it goes ahead means my new tv will have some 4k content going to it.

re budget i can increase that it to four figure money, if it is substantially worth it.

So basic questions:-

based on use, content and viewing distance

Is 65 inch worth going up to?

Is an OLED worth the additional budget?

I know its a matter of opinion, but i value that opinion of yourself, dodge and other on here.

65" Absolutely. The bigger your TV, the more immersive the experience, as long as it doesn't look too big for your room.

You don't need an OLED for decent HDR, there are cheaper LCD alternatives but OLED can't be beaten for a combination of overall picture quality, contrast, HDR performance and viewing angles but OLED isn't for everyone.

If your room is bright and you can't or don't like watching TV in a shaded, darkened room then possibly OLED isn't right for you. LCD TVs can get much brighter to counter this.

I've also said you should go for a 65". I might consider going down to a 55" to get a better quality TV in budget.

However, what is your budget?

Also you shouldn't really buy now. You'll be much better hanging off until Black Friday for 2020 model TVs. 2019 models will be very thin on the ground now.
The absolute best time to buy a TV is next spring when the 2021 models are released but that's a long way away.

Absolutely waiting until BF.

Budget wise probably go to the £1k mark, bit higher if i had to.

Current cheapest 65 OLED is 1599, but its a phillips with 2 year guarantee. If I can get 65 OLED for <1500 with 5/6 year warranty i could handle that. Probably say £1k tops for the same but 55"

I don't go OLED feels like i shouldn't bother spending as much, maybe you disagree?

I don't have an OLED. I'd like one but my TV is only 2 1/2 years old and I can't justify changing it for the sake of change and a moderate improvement.

It's a once top-end Sony LCD that I bought as a refurb off the Sony Centre and was at the time and still is a great TV. It does shine with 4K HDR content.

You're unlikely to see OLED at those prices until next spring. It's is hard to say as COVID is changing everything but looking historically that was where Panasonic 55" and 65" were around those prices.

A good 65" LCD from a major manufacturer is still going to be considerably over £1000 come Black Friday IMO. You'd be looking at a Samsung Q80/85 or above or a Sony XH9505.
Hisense are the budget choice just now and come in on your budget just now (still wait though) but I'd have a good read of the review and in the Hisense area of the forum before parting with the cash.

i feel like if the phillips oled had 5/6 year warranty id of bought one them. Just cant justify spending that money without the guarantee.

You'll have to make a similar decision to most people shopping for a TV, Size matters.

The only TV that offers both decent HDR and is in budget at 65" is the Hisense U8Q, I'd expect that to stay the same come Black Friday with other entry level HDR sets being over 1k at 65".

Having considered the replies, guides and other threads. I've come to the conclusion that I will look to go for on the below TVs, 65 as a preference but 55 would be ok.

I understand these are not like for like TV's but i'll look to go with the TV that i can get the best value deal on. In a rough order:-

LGCX
Philips OLED 754
LGBX
Samsung Q85T
Hisense U8Q
Sony XH9505

Anything i should look to add in that list or replace?

Last edited:
I'm guessing you mean the Hisense U8Q. Otherwise the list looks fine. Maybe you could also add the Sony A8 but it will likely be more expensive.

The Philips OLED754 is a 2019 model btw, so not sure it will have a Black Friday reduction, its already priced very low. Maybe if its still around it will have 50-100 off though.

I'm guessing you mean the Hisense U8Q. Otherwise the list looks fine. Maybe you could also add the Sony A8 but it will likely be more expensive.

Yes I did, amended.

The Philips OLED754 is a 2019 model btw, so not sure it will have a Black Friday reduction, its already priced very low. Maybe if its still around it will have 50-100 off though.

I realised this, so its either a further discount off that to cover an extended warranty, or 2020 version from somewhere that will give 5/6 years. Which will probably be in the A8 price range.

Cheers!

8 October - Ask for guidance on a 55 inch around the £600 mark.

2 November - Sitting here waiting for the LG CX 65 to reduce a little more!

That's what the forum does to you! :)

(Not suggesting anyone is advising to spend money that i don't have)

Just still wrangling with whats the right amount of money to spend on a TV!

Feel like i will regret it if i don't get a 65 though.

So you're not going for the 77" GX then?

:p

The value for money of LCD TVs versus OLEDs increases the higher you go because OLEDs are pricier the bigger the screen size you buy.

It will be offset a little once we start to get some good prices on 65" OLEDs but you'll be waiting probably until spring next year when that'l happen.

Just found out i can get discounts on some Samsung TVs.

65 q95t for £1,799 thoughts?

The discount isn't great to be honest, and you are also stuck buying from Samsung direct with a single year warranty. The Q95T is also just the same as the Q90T with the one connect box.
I'd work your way up from the bottom to the top with the decision making process otherwise making a decision is harder.
If you pick out different TVs without first knowing where your priorities are with picture quality its going to make the choice harder.

For example, those who would consider a TV like the Samsung Q90T/Q95T are people who tend to want to use the TV in very bright conditions. The Q95T in particular people go for because of the one connect box. This is where it will excel compared to other models.

If you are wanting to use a TV in darker conditions you are probably better off going for an OLED or the Sony XH9505, since the Samsung models don't fair quite as well with darker details and crush blacks quite a bit.

The standout TV with value for money right now is the Hisense U8Q, the next best is the Sony XH9005, but only if you aren't going to use HDR. Following that (and for HDR) the Sony XH9505 is next best. OLED TVs will also come down in price with time, the BX is already the same price as the Samsung Q90T, hopefully it drops more with time. The B series typically drops to around 1500 in clearance in spring time, this year the BX is lower than the B9 was so with luck it will drop sooner.

Sons just go a 65 cx for £1799 great price if this helps

You are right Dodge. OLED will work for my viewing and i feel is worth laying out the bigger money for. If if didn’t go for an OLED I don’t think I can justify spending the same money on LCD (correct me if that’s a stupid statement) Whilst gaming isn’t a priority, would seem silly to lay out that sort of money and not have the 2.1 option. Which basically brings me to the LG BX or CX.

You are right Dodge. OLED will work for my viewing and i feel is worth laying out the bigger money for. If if didn’t go for an OLED I don’t think I can justify spending the same money on LCD (correct me if that’s a stupid statement) Whilst gaming isn’t a priority, would seem silly to lay out that sort of money and not have the 2.1 option. Which basically brings me to the LG BX or CX.
No its not stupid, FALD LCD TVs should cost less, especially at 65". The Sony XH9505 is priced okay for this time of year, the Samsung models like the Q85T and Q90T/Q95T are very very overpriced. They set the prices of them to look good against more expensive OLEDs I think, good marketing to make it look like they are selling a new display technology like OLED when really they are just LCD TVs.

At the moment pricing is still quite high. Black Friday each year is the first time to consider buying, but not necessarily the best. We'll see what happens with the prices over time.

Probably a stupid question, If i were to get an OLED say LG CX, would the picture be massively better than my existing Linsar UHD520 when running a sky minibox through it, which is HD not 4k.

I guess rephrased, is an OLED worth the money if I am not utilising 4k content very much.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom