TV Choice Guidance appreciated

Dodgexander

A8 - Best choice for motion with sport, together with decent built in sound.
OLED805 (I guess you meant not 802?) good motion like Sony.
CX - Best all round and for gaming.
HZ980 - Best for movie enthusiast.

Much of muchness between all because they are all OLEDs using the same panel, side by side even experts have a hard time seeing a difference.

fortknoxcj

That’s broke it down nicely, thank you.

Sounds like my order should be the order you’ve listed in then.

In terms of actual prices I’ve agreed

980 cheapest
A8 + £70 (of price of 980)
CX + £80 (of price of 980)
805 + £200 (of price of 980)

I think that makes A8 best value for me.

When you say better sound is that marginal or significant. I’d planned on getting a JBL 9.1 ( never had an external audio before)

Or if I’m going with JBL save the £70 and get the 980.

I didn’t ask about the BX price, so maybe worth considering that if say more than £150 cheaper than 980

I’m so nearly there!!! (Never spent this much on AV before!!!)

Last edited:

fortknoxcj

I'm buying tomorrow, have had to compromise with the OH and stick with a 55. It'll be fine and look good. Just need to be decisive and pick my model:-

BX £999
CX £1179
HZ980 1059
A8 £1150 (outside chance of £1059)
805 £1199

irishyop

Standard Member
A8 - Best choice for motion with sport, together with decent built in sound.
OLED805 (I guess you meant not 802?) good motion like Sony.
CX - Best all round and for gaming.
HZ980 - Best for movie enthusiast.

Much of muchness between all because they are all OLEDs using the same panel, side by side even experts have a hard time seeing a difference.

Thats really interesting. I was about to pull the trigger on the CX and read this.
Big house for sport and PS4.
Using a free view box with Disney and Prime.

I think now the A8 is a better tv.

Be using the TV for free sat and terrestrial channels and not another box. So the EPG is important.

Dodgexander

Be using the TV for free sat and terrestrial channels and not another box. So the EPG is important.
They've only just added Freesat support to Sony Android TVs with a sat tuner. Not sure how it compares to other TVs but don't expect the EPG to be as good as Freeview Play/Youview. It will be basic, but at least its there.

If you are using a lot of terrestrial channels the CX and A8 both have good upscaling but the A8 edges it for sport if you want the best motion.

For streaming Disney and prime the CX will be marginally better, but not by much.

For motion with games the CX will be better with a console that supports HDMI 2.1 VRR. So bear that in mind for the future.

Motion is a general topic, so don't assume the Sony has better motion for games because it has better motion for video, two very different things.

fortknoxcj

I’m ruling the 805 out, the only thing it has is ambilight I’ve not see any review say it does anything specifically better than the others, which all seem to have their strength.

I’m tempted to rule out the BX, as the £ difference isn’t massively important so I might as well have the CX if I went LG.

types of program for me personally, in order of Amount watched

Sport
Regular TV programs
Movies

I think this is pointing to the A8?

Dodgexander

The Philips models are a bit like Sony, motion is their forte but the the OLED805 doesn't share the better sound.

The do lag behind Sony a bit with picture processing overall, but also tend to be cheaper. The fact its more expensive currently tells you its worse value.

fortknoxcj

At the same price, is there any reason to go for the Philips 805 over the same A8

Sound is better on A8 , however a soundbar negates this.

Philips has ambilight, however i could add ambient lighting to an A8 to negate the feature slightly.

All reviews, i keep reading largely end up talking about value. As prices keep changing are deals are there to be negotiated.

Rtings said the A8 is as good as the LG, but the LG is cheaper

Vincent said in his review the 805 was the best value OLED, as at the time it was the cheapest.

Now i'm looking at the A8, 805 and CX at more or less identical pricing. (ruled out BX and 950HZ)

Am i simply picking between 2.1, Sound and Lighting?

This is new levels of indecisiveness even for me!!

Dodgexander

At the same price, is there any reason to go for the Philips 805 over the same A8

Sound is better on A8 , however a soundbar negates this.

Philips has ambilight, however i could add ambient lighting to an A8 to negate the feature slightly.

All reviews, i keep reading largely end up talking about value. As prices keep changing are deals are there to be negotiated.

Rtings said the A8 is as good as the LG, but the LG is cheaper

Vincent said in his review the 805 was the best value OLED, as at the time it was the cheapest.

Now i'm looking at the A8, 805 and CX at more or less identical pricing. (ruled out BX and 950HZ)

This is new levels of indecisiveness even for me!!
This is something that will bob up and down all year. TVs pricing is never linear, so what is cheaper today can be different tomorrow.

You could pretty much say that because the difference between all OLEDs is so small with picture quality.
Have you seen: 2021-2022 OLED Comparison

fortknoxcj

@Dodgexander and @Sloppy Bob - Thank you so much for all your help and answering all my questions regardless of how stupid or repetitive they were!! Really appreciate not only your knowledge but also your patience!

Finally ordered a Sony A8 for £1,150 and the JBL 9.1 for £522.

Not bad for starting off with a £500 budget :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom