TV Choice Guidance appreciated

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
You might warrant a better TV than you have. A Lower Mid-range LCD for example but you may notice, even then, little difference.

However, if you're only using average quality sources and have no plans to watch 4K HDR content then it's a bit of a waste of cash IMO.

You can't polish a turd. I wouldn't go as far as to say SkyHD is a turd, but it's not great quality.

fortknoxcj

I will utilise 4K content in part, amazon firestick, Netflix and Xbox. They wont just be the main use initially.

Reason i ask is, I've just had Sky come round to look at a relocation of the main box. He could of done it, but i would of needed to do extra work putting cables under the carpet or alternative. He suggested waiting until i get my new TV and see what I think. He suggested the OLED displaying HD would probably look better than the linsar displaying sky UHD.

I'm fully aware that best source to best tv is the optimum. I guess in simple terms if i sent sky HD to the linsar and sky hd to an LGCX, side by side what would the difference be?

sounds like when i use the firestick and xbox, the difference will be immense.

mikej

I'm fully aware that best source to best tv is the optimum. I guess in simple terms if i sent sky HD to the linsar and sky hd to an LGCX, side by side what would the difference be?

It's likely that the LG CX is going to be noticeably better than your Lindsar LCD provided the source is good enough IMO, but then that's not too surprising considering it's 4-5 times the price and OLED as opposed to LCD - it's actually not really a fair comparison, as you would expect there to be a big difference between an expensive OLED and a cheap LCD.

Once you realise the benefits of good quality 4K content / HDR etc, then I expect you'll move over to them just like I did in order to get the best out of the CX (or Panasonic GZ950 in my case)

You mentioned one of your sofas is around 40 degrees off axis - are you able to watch the LCD from that position ? An OLED will be far better for off-axis viewing.

Make sure you read up on the differences between LCD and OLED as recommended previously if you haven't already - both have their advantages and disadvantages and remember that, as the AF Forum reviews often state, 'there is no such thing as the perfect TV' ! If you're a big news channel or GMB viewer or there's a risk of family members leaving stuff paused for hours, then you might be as well to avoid OLED.

If you do decide OLED is the way forward and want to keep costs down, the 55" LG BX might get down below £1000 around BF if the prices for the C9 were anything to go by last year. Covid might affect things this year though.

Whatever you go for, don't buy from anywhere that doesn't include a free 5 or 6 year warranty.

fortknoxcj

another stupid question, when people talk about potential issue using xbox series with the LG BX, i assume this is in relation to it being able to be used to its full potential as opposed to it not working at all? And if the former, even then it will still be a very good picture no?

@ £1,499 the BX is looking very tempting.

mikej

another stupid question, when people talk about potential issue using xbox series with the LG BX, i assume this is in relation to it being able to be used to its full potential as opposed to it not working at all? And if the former, even then it will still be a very good picture no?

Yes - that's right. They've recently found that VRR or Variable Refresh Rate (which is an HDMI 2.1 feature on the 2019/2020 LG OLEDs) is not working perfectly with the next gen consoles and it might not be possible to fix the problem with a software update.

fortknoxcj

As I prepare to make a purchase over the next couple of weeks I have a question regarding audio. I’ve never owned external speakers/soundbar. ( I’ve never had a top TV except for a plasma 14 years back :) )

You’ll see from my thread, I’ve already considerably upped my budget for the TV. My question is what’s the lowest I’d need to spend on either a) a soundbar or b) surround speakers to get a noticeable difference from the tv speakers?

If it’s something I can afford I may look to get all together in a deal from somewhere.

Dodgexander

As I prepare to make a purchase over the next couple of weeks I have a question regarding audio. I’ve never owned external speakers/soundbar. ( I’ve never had a top TV except for a plasma 14 years back :) )

You’ll see from my thread, I’ve already considerably upped my budget for the TV. My question is what’s the lowest I’d need to spend on either a) a soundbar or b) surround speakers to get a noticeable difference from the tv speakers?

If it’s something I can afford I may look to get all together in a deal from somewhere.
Depends which TV you buy. If you are buying one without its own soundbar some cheap second hand speakers you find in your local charity shop will be better, or even a £50 soundbar.

If you are looking for something more premium, you probably want to aim for £150-200 at least for a soundbar, and around £1000 if you want a proper AVR and 5.1 speaker setup with surrounds.
There are more premium sound bars too that cost more like the Sonos ARC. They are very expensive though, and once you also factor in the extra cost of buying wireless rear speakers and a wireless sub for them you start to reach the price territory of a dedicated wired system that will outperform it.

fortknoxcj

TV likely going to be one of the 65 OLEDs

I see the Phillips 935 OLED comes with sound bar, but that’s nearly £1k more expensive.
I like the idea of having some sound coming from behind me, but literally had no idea of what Im looking at or how much it costs.

Dodgexander

There are OLEDs from each manufacturer that come with soundbars.
LG WX and above.
Panasonic HZ1500 and above.
Philips 9 series

Sony TVs like the A8 and AG9 come with sound built into the TV itself. They are as good as TVs with soundbars and you can connect them later to be used as a dedicated front speaker if you go the route of a separate AVR and 5.1 setup.

As far as audio effects from behind go, you need to actually have speakers behind you. That will either mean a soundbar like the Sonos ARC together with rear wireless speakers, or a traditional set up with an AVR wired up to rear speakers.

You won't get very good effects in movies without rear speakers, be that with the sound integrated into the TV or just a soundbar, it needs to be a package with rear speakers.

Here's a search on the forum of past topics on the subject:

Soundbar, speaker and AVR sections are separate:

fortknoxcj

Thank you so much Dodge, this is all very interesting reading.

Initial reading and searching, i've come to conclusion I don't really want an AVR (cost and space).

Is there a such a set-up as a soundbar by the tv and then a couple of speakers to be placed on lamp tables next to sofa (wireless?)

If i need to take this part of my decision making over to that part of forum, then happy to.

If that set-up is possible then perhaps i can post there for recommendations.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Yes it is. Samsung, Sony, LG, Sonos and a few other have soundbars with wireless rear speakers, note though they're not truly wireless and still need cables for power.
These are generally at the higher end of the soundbar market and while they can be very good, will easily be beaten by a good AVR with speakers.

The only soundbar I know of with a properly wireless connection for the rear speakers is the JBL Bar 9.1

fortknoxcj

Yes it is. Samsung, Sony, LG, Sonos and a few other have soundbars with wireless rear speakers, note though they're not truly wireless and still need cables for power.
These are generally at the higher end of the soundbar market and while they can be very good, will easily be beaten by a good AVR with speakers.

The only soundbar I know of with a properly wireless connection for the rear speakers is the JBL Bar 9.1

Thank you, had a look at JBL 9.1 seems ideal, looks like RS have a 5.1 bar that too has detachable speakers £549.

I'm not fussed about having cables solely for power so will look at the other brands you mention, too!

Finally feel like im getting somewhere with TV and audio choice thanks to all the help on here!

fortknoxcj

Back on TVs i know that the LG CX is brighter than the BX. I have watched the demo video of them side by side and can see the difference. But is the BX the dimmest of all the current OLEDs? is there somewhere that lists all the brightness of all the OLEDs? Also, how do i find out the brightness of the TV i have so i compare against that (The Budget Linsar 55uhd520)

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
You can't compare LCD and OLED brightness.

Your Linsar won't get particularly bright, not as bright as the OLEDs but top-end LCDs get far brighter than OLEDs but OLED is still better.

The reason for that is the contrast between light and dark. OLED has pure black. Because the technology is self-emitting you turn off the pixels completely and they're black, you can't do that with an LCD, you can just dim them to the lowest level, so they still emit light.
Due to that, although the OLED isn't as bright, the contrast between absolute black and bright is greater, giving a better picture.

It's why a high-end LCD TV is better suited for a bright room that you can't or are not prepared to dim, it can overcome that with greater brightness itself.

fortknoxcj

You can't compare LCD and OLED brightness.

Your Linsar won't get particularly bright, not as bright as the OLEDs but top-end LCDs get far brighter than OLEDs but OLED is still better.

The reason for that is the contrast between light and dark. OLED has pure black. Because the technology is self-emitting you turn off the pixels completely and they're black, you can't do that with an LCD, you can just dim them to the lowest level, so they still emit light.
Due to that, although the OLED isn't as bright, the contrast between absolute black and bright is greater, giving a better picture.

It's why a high-end LCD TV is better suited for a bright room that you can't or are not prepared to dim, it can overcome that with greater brightness itself.

Think that answers my question. Point being LCDs recommended for bright rooms over LCDS, however sounds like an OLED is much better than what I have anyway on that point so its a non-issue. Especially as i wouldn't consider it a 'bright room'. I'll happy watch in the dark, but other half insists on putting the lamps on!

What about the comparison of different OLEDs. or is it just a non-point and the least bright OLED will be superb anyway.

Dodgexander

You can see in the guide that if you are willing to pay a bit extra over the BX you can buy a Philips OLED instead that will have brightness more on par with the CX and BX.

The BX is unusually the dimmest OLED, not sure why. It's almost like they deliberately make it dimmer to sell more CXs. Last years B9 was only a little dimmer. Although 100 nits is really still quite a small amount.

fortknoxcj

You can see in the guide that if you are willing to pay a bit extra over the BX you can buy a Philips OLED instead that will have brightness more on par with the CX and BX.

The BX is unusually the dimmest OLED, not sure why. It's almost like they deliberately make it dimmer to sell more CXs. Last years B9 was only a little dimmer. Although 100 nits is really still quite a small amount.

Thank you, currently the price gap between BX and CX doesn’t feel wide enough to warrant picking the BX. Nowhere seems to be selling the Phillips with a decent warranty.

The equivalent Sony and Panasonic still feel too expensive compared to the CX

Dodgexander

Thank you, currently the price gap between BX and CX doesn’t feel wide enough to warrant picking the BX. Nowhere seems to be selling the Phillips with a decent warranty.

The equivalent Sony and Panasonic still feel too expensive compared to the CX
What size?
When I just made the best buy guide the BX was cheaper by £200 or so. That is a good saving. I'd say the BX is still better value at that price despite its disadvantages. Each disadvantage can mean different things to different people though so it really depends on your own usage.

For example, the CX would probably be worth the extra if you rely often on the TVs upscaling, view HDR a lot and you view in brighter conditions.

On the other hand, the BX could be better value if you watch in dimmer conditions, mainly watch SDR and don't use the TVs upscaling much.

Think about the sources you'll use with the TV. If you send 4k already to a the TV then you won't be using its built in upscaler. If however you use its built in tuner for watching TV, you will.

Also think about the quality of the sources. HD upscales very good on both TVs, if you start to watch lower quality content than HD though the CX will be better (provided you feed it that source signal, and don't upscale at a different stage).

fortknoxcj

I’m looking at 65 inch, so although it’s still £200 its less differential in % percentage terms.

most of viewing be through Sky Q. Followed by 4K firestick.

Dodgexander

most of viewing be through Sky Q. Followed by 4K firestick.
Little reason for you to get the CX unless you want to set those sources to output less than 4k.
Most people will set Sky Q box to output 4k making upscaling on the TV direct redundant.
Same with firestick.

If you want to mess about with changing the output signal depending on what you watch the CX's better picture processing may be useful. For example, watch a HD channel on Sky, go to settings, set output to 1080i instead. Watch UHD channel, go to settings, set back to 4k. You can't set Sky to less than HD, so upscaling is next to useless on SD channels. Sky box will do 576i>1080i and 1080i>4k will already be very good on the BX. It's not possible with Sky to set it to send SD to the TV, it can only upscale itself to 1080i or p first, and then send to the display.

But I do think the BX has more wiggle room for discount. Last years B9 went down to £1500. Not sure if the BX will do that as soon as Black Friday, but it will.

fortknoxcj

Cheers really appreciate your comprehensive reply’s. Especially as my questions are somewhat repetitive. I’m really enjoying learning. Spending so much money (compared to usual) on AV I just want to get it right.

I think I’m over the burn-in scare. Reality is the TV is used 3hours a day in the week and maybe double that at weekends. Occasional gaming like 2 hours a week max, but weeks without gaming.

Feels like it shouldn’t be a problem? And most of social media is scaremongery?

Dodgexander

Cheers really appreciate your comprehensive reply’s. Especially as my questions are somewhat repetitive. I’m really enjoying learning. Spending so much money (compared to usual) on AV I just want to get it right.

I think I’m over the burn-in scare. Reality is the TV is used 3hours a day in the week and maybe double that at weekends. Occasional gaming like 2 hours a week max, but weeks without gaming.

Feels like it shouldn’t be a problem? And most of social media is scaremongery?
There's a lot of scare mongering, there's nothing about your usage that really alarms me. Just make sure you don't watch news channels. 2 hours a week gaming is not much even if you play a game with lots of static elements like FIFA.

fortknoxcj

Right @Ddodgexander (and @Sloppy Bob) regarding 65” I know your guide is ranked on value.

Discounting the BX for a moment. If I can get the A8, CX, 980 and 802 all for the same price, which order would you then place them in for me?

Usage in order of most:-

Sky (Sport and normal trash TV)
Netflix
Amazon
Gaming ( I’ll be absolutely content gaming without 2.1 on the rare occasion I’ll get to, couple of hours every fortnight maybe)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky reveals content lineup for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs now feature Apple TV+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett