TV choice for bright ish room?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by ddan1275, Dec 23, 2011.

1. ddan1275

ddan1275
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm moving on from my 28" CRT & I'm wanting to order a TV asap but have quite a bright living room. I don't really want to have the blinds shut everytime i watch TV. So i have a few questions.

I was setting out to buy a 37-42" LED backlit but after reading on here there seems to many problems still with them. My reason for wanting one was mainly the low power comsumption.

I then got interested in the Panasonic 42ST30B plasma as it was recommended.I've heard of some people getting 5 yr warranty with them or others for £500 with 2 pairs of glasses.

I don't really want to spend more than £550, it will be used for HDTV, DVD's & a lot of gaming.

Questions-
    -What is best for Gaming & TV in a bright room?
    -Will i notice 600HZ any better than 100 or 200?
    -Does contrast ratios make a difference?
    -Do plasmas still have the screen burn effect?

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,316
    Plasmas are a lot dimmer than LED/LCD TVs. If you have lots of direct light that might hit the screen, I would go for a good LED just to get the punch. I think you would need to turn up the plasma to the point that image retention and eventually screen burn could become an issue.

FYI, 600Hz is a sub sample unique to plasmas, so you will not notice any improvement over a 200Hz TV.

All that being said, I have a Panasonic 42GT20 and am very happy with it. I find the colours and tonal balance to be a little less brash than LED/LCD and they feel more natural.

3. stevep94

stevep94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you have a bright room I'd steer clear of any plasma set to be honest!

The ST30B is a fantastic set but I found that despite it having the anti-reflection filter, we could still see loads of reflections and so ended up changing to an LED model!

The other thing to consider is that some LCD/LED models also have quite reflective screens - ie. Samsung sets!

In spite of the above opinion I would still recommend the 42ST30B - it might be something you can live with and if it is, the set is superb quality!!!

4. ddan1275

ddan1275
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 42ST30B has great reviews & was going to be my TV of choice but then i remembered the light part. It hard really as there is no way of knowing until it's been purchased.In summer i often close the blinds as it would be to bright on any tv when the sun comes around but unsure for normal daylight.

Can anyone recommend any good LED TV's i can look into as i don't know anything about them, is it better to get edge or backlit? Gaming and TV are my main uses.

5. stevep94

stevep94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I've gone for the Panasonic L42E30B but its probably being returned in Jan for uneven backlight and a strange misty sheen when you are viewing off-centre!
    From the reviews its a great set if you are lucky and get a panel without my problems its supposedly very good for the money!

6. ddan1275

ddan1275
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There seems to be a lot of people having problems with the Panasonic LED TV's with backlights etc. It's a shame especially when you have to pay £50-£100 more than the 42ST30B and you don't get the benefit of 3D.

I don't hear meany people talking about Sony or LG like they used to. is there a reason for this anyone?

7. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Sony are expensive relatively, some of the LGs are ok but with the usual LCD/edgelit LED issues

Not to mention input lag

Don't take any notice of the 600hz with plasma versus the 100hz with LCD, not the same thing

8. ddan1275

ddan1275
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So if i'm wanting good quality LED do i want to go for the edge lit or back lit, is there much difference or not worth fussing over. And i'll be wanting 100Hz minimum i presume.

Is the lag when gaming worse with plasma or LCD/LED?
    Am i correct that the older LCD's are just fluorescent tubes instead of LED's

9. mikej

mikej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I was concerned about this too but, thankfully, I have no problems with my 46GT30 in a bright room (2.5m window on one side and a 2.8m patio door on the other which gets the sun for most of the day during the summer months)

I partially draw the curtains on the patio doors on very sunny days but don't have issues with less sunny, normal daylight conditions at other times of the year.

Most people who work during the day will tend to do most of their viewing at night anyway, when you think about it !

10. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Backlit but I don't think you can get anywhere near with £500 for a 40"

100hz - what are you watching, or is it really mainly gaming. If

so, what sort of gaming, is it fast, shooting stuff...if so no, the 100hz processing adds lag

Gaming lag worse with LCD

Edgelit LEDs are just LCDs with extra LEDs around the edges adding backlighting and often bleed, but it is more energy efficient and the cases are slimmer

Read this http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...about-fantastic-radically-new-technology.html

and the info at the top of the plasma section

Find some models in your budget that appeal and read reviews and the owners threads :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  11. ddan1275

ddan1275
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mike, i have the same layout as yourself by the sound of it. I'm going to pick a couple of TV's & check them out in store somewhere.Might just have 2 try a gamble on the 42ST30B unless i see a good LCD.

It's going down a size but the Sony Bravia KDL37EX723 LED HD 1080p 3D TV, 37 inch with Built-in Freeview HD
    Seems like a good deal& keepping the 3D option

12. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
  13. ddan1275

ddan1275
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just had a look at that review, seems good.Only thing is short warranty compared to some other samsung or panasonics.But hence the cheaper price.

Does the 42ST30B have the 2D to 3D upscaling.

14. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
  15. ddan1275

ddan1275
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry i must have missed this post.

The TV is in the living room so will be used for TV & gaming. I'm using a PS3 and tend to play Call of Duty and F1 2011 or other driving games.

If the 100Hz processing adds lag, what should i be aiming for?

What is the difference between the 42E30B & the 42E3 apart from £50

16. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,316
    The LG 47"passive 3D sets have awful lag compared to my Panasonic Plasma. Not sure about the rest of the range, but it is poor, even for everyday tasks, let alone gaming.

17. ddan1275

ddan1275
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    is the LG passive your talking about also plasma?

18. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    No, LCD I think. There are no 47" plasmas

19. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I think you should go with your hunch and get the ST30B. Unless you watch a LOT of TV in the day time then the brightness really won't be an issue. It's deffo the best set in your price range for gaming as the lag is next to non-existent!

The best thing to do would be to order it online, set it up and try it for a few days. Then if you find you don't like it just send it back under the distance selling regulations. There are lots of people on here who order 2 or 3 TVs at the same time, set them all up next to each other and send back the ones they don't like. Now that may seem like overkill but if you can afford to do it why not?

Finally, if you or a friend are a member of Costco they give you a 90 day (yes you read that right) no quibble, money back guarantee plus 5 year warranty as standard!

20. ddan1275

ddan1275
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers SteveU30 i think your correct and i keep going back to thinking the ST30B is the right choice

21. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    It is;) I have the GT30 great with gaming and the ST30 actually has lower lag. 600hz is different on plasma not the same thing at all, plasma dont need 200hz+ they dont have the mition issues of LCD.

22. logiclee

logiclee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +673
    I have a bright room with bad reflections on the screen from windows and light sources to the seating area.

Tried Plasma and Samsung LCD but they were very poor to watch unless I drew the curtains and at night turned off the fish tank light.
    Even the top end Sony's with anti glare one sheet Gorilla glass was a not starter as I tried in Sony shops demo room.

Settled on a 55EX723 with non reflective matt screen. It's not had great 3D reviews, only about on par with 2010 sets but most reviews give it great reviews for 2D. After playing with setup for a week I blown away by the HD performance and black levels, certainly a big step up from my old 52W4000 that cost over £2k 3 years ago.

I do watch blurays in a darkened room with lights off but too big a compromise to have to do that for all TV viewing.

Cheers
    Lee

23. ddan1275

ddan1275
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm just going to try out the Panasonic 42ST30B and keep fingers crossed. Heard about comet doing a budle with the 2 pairs of glasses but I think it's instead of the 5 year warranty so Going to see if anyone else does the deal with both. Someone suggested John Lewis price match but they are out of stock.

24. russ331

russ331

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
  25. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Now £600 Comet and no glasses. Try your local Panasonic indy dealer if you want a longer warranty (see the website for a dealer search function), or Amazon if happy with an online purchase with one year warranty - be quick though, I expect will go fast now on Hotdeals

26. ddan1275

ddan1275
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, just got your post about the amazon one, thats a great price, but their warranty is £110 to make it up to 5 years which is piece of mind if you have it

27. ddan1275

ddan1275
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it correct that you don't notice the difference of 720p and 1080p unless it's on a TV over 46", was just something i read on a site breaking down each section about modern TV comparisons

28. Waynestar

Waynestar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've been reading a few posts on this site & think it would be better to add to this thread rather than start another discussion.

Im going to purchase a TV set in the next 48 hours but would like some advice from some of you with much more knowledge than myself on this topic. Im looking at spending £500 (+ or - £50) but im not really into the active 3D thing as I think it is still to new & will change.
    The Panasonic TX-P4230B looks like a good buy with 5 years warranty but with the 3D inc. its just going to tempt me to spend another fortune on glasses which seem expensive when it could still go the passive direction or not at all.

So for my price range can anyone recommend a good LCD or LED TV with a good refresh rate that is near to the Panasonic TX-P4230B performance.
    40 inch to 43 inch
    for the time being I will be using it for - SD TV 45% PS3 & XBOX-360 45% and odd weekends BLURAY films 10%

29. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    You wont get an LCD close to the same PQ as the ST30 for this money, you wont get another TV full stop thats as good IMO.

30. Waynestar

Waynestar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So forgetting about the 3D being included are none of the LCD TV's you see for under £500 close to the Panasonic TX-P4230B? Reading above I seen someone had mentioned a Samsung 40D5520. Are there not some features that are on par with the panasonic plasmas, Would the life of the samsung TV not last longer being LED rather than a plasma? Ive seen a relatives Sony Bravia LCD when gaming & it looked ok to me but at the time I wasnt looking for any flaws. I think he paid around £400. If the Panasonic genuinly is a better TV Ill just have to forget about the 3D aspect for the time being & consider one.