TV Catch up Box (UK)

jdf30

Standard Member
Hi all, apologise if I've posted this in the wrong area, but I have no idea what I would categorise it under.

We're in the process of buying our first flat and am really excited. We currently have Sky+ HD, and we're thinking about ditching it because I only record programmes that I can get on BBC iPlayer, 4OD, ITV Player etc. To be honest I probably only watch about on hour or two of TV a day. The only reason we got sky was for Sky Sports, but we will be living a couple of minutes walk from the local pub which plays the footy.

I would however prefer to watch programmes via our lounge TV rather than watching them on my iPad/macbook, is there a 'box' out there that has built in apps just for online TV? I wish the AppleTV has these services built in!

We're really looking to save and not paying for a TV service and TV license could save us a good £60 a month. Apparently my partner believes he'll have £60 of beer tokens a month!

(from research we don't need a TV license if we're watching programmes that have already been broadcast - you have to have a TV license if you are watching/recording TV live) is that correct?

Many thanks!

next010

Distinguished Member
A PS3 would cover iPlayer, 4OD and ITV Player they can be gotten for £140 or thereabouts.

For something cheaper than that, there is an Android application called TVcatchup this isn't VOD but the actual free to air TV channels. You can buy a variety of Android sticks or boxes you can use with it though it's not really meant to used in this manner without a touch screen so you wiil need a wireless USB mouse to control the app under Android. You might even be able to use the VOD apps like iPlayer for Android too.

mentm

If you still want to be able to record and watch live tv you'll want a you view box, this also has iplayer and the other main channels available for streaming.

Not really sure about the tv licence, if you only have a PC and you stream content then you probably won't need one, but if you had a tv and aerial how could you prove you never watched any freeview / TV channels?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom