TV card USB vs PCI

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by mwallan, Jun 2, 2008.

1. mwallan

mwallan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi

im looking to build a HTPC and i want to get a DVB-t and DVB-s2

Now looking at DVB-t option what are the advantages of pci vs usb. im not looking for a twin tuner as i can say I cant remember the last time I recorded something off the TV !!!! so a single tuner is needed.

Looking at DVB-s2 card this will be pci i guess but im looking for one that has a CI and one sky card will work in

oh yes both to work in vista media centre ( i also know that HD is not supported yet in media centre)

any ideas

Cheers
    marc

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    USB has less space for the tuner and components but it's more portable and can be used on laptops.

3. cdldt

cdldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If you heavily load the PC (e.g. if you want to game while recording TV in the background) you're better off with PCI or PCIe rather than USB. USB overheads are low on a modern CPU but they do still require more CPU time nonetheless and additionally due to their higher dependence on the CPU they can be more susceptible to interruptions under high CPU load.