TV Card - Need one with a SCART input

stewartbradford

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Having recently got a Samsung 27" LCD it's become really clear that RF is crap compared to SCART for watching tv through my cable box.

However I have a media pc (runs MCE 2005) and obviously that is hooked up to the cable box via the RF lead as thats the only input I have on my tv card.

So I was wondering if anyone knows of a TV card which is compatbile with MCE (needs onboard MPEG2 hardware encoding) with a SCART input because the cable box I have has 2 SCART outputs and it would be nice to get a good picture on what I record :d

Thanks,

Stew

The answer is no, unfortunately.

The SweetSpot can take SCART in ( using a special lead they also sell ) but it does not have onboard MPEG2 encoding and is not MCE compatible.

Possibly there might be an MCE-compatible MPEG2 encoding card with s-video in and you could get a SCART to s-video lead.

Anyone know of such a card ?

i have just bought a ati all in wonder that has a scart input adapter for it

Are you sure its an input - maybe a scart output adapter for hooking up to a telly.

i will have a look,i have only just got it

I'm pretty sure it's output only. Best quality for MCE would be a S-Video capture card and external RGB Scart to S-Video converter.

Would an RGB Scart to s-video converter work when the SCART output on my cable box isn't RGB? Only the one for the TV connection is RGB the other is just a normal AV one.

Would an RGB Scart to s-video converter work when the SCART output on my cable box isn't RGB? Only the one for the TV connection is RGB the other is just a normal AV one.

That needn't be a problem you could pass the RGB-SCART into the svideo adapter pass that into the PC capture card and then watch the cable box via the MCE.

Depending on your MCE machine video card out port you could either connect the MCE machine to the TV via VGA-to-SCART ( needs an ATI 9000 series card and special lead - search in this forum for VBG-to-SCART thread for details ) or possibly DVI/HDMI if you have a new-ish TV and video card.

Both give high quality to the TV so the only weak point in the chain is the SCART to svideo adaption ( which we can't currently get around ).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom