1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Card + Laptop

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by General Skanky, Sep 20, 2003.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    We're mulling over the simplest way to add a separate TV in the kitchen, just for when my wife is pottering away in there and wants to watch her type of programmes as she goes.

I thought to use her laptop and something like the Nebula usb box for simplicity. Adding a suitable aerial is the hard bit.

However, as Sainsburys are heading down the <£300 LCD TV route, that might be an easier fit and forget option.

I just like the facilities the laptop could offer like vcr etc.

Sky will be used separately (no signal feed practical to the kitchen) in two other rooms, and Sky+ isn't really an answer as she'd want to see stuff as she goes, not later on.

Is there a better option than the Nebula to use with her laptop?

Or any better, simpler ideas?

Cheers.

2. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can you not just multiplex the RF?
    I have the aeriel feed from the roof go into the sitting room, through 2 Sky boxes, then return to the loft space. There it is fed into an 8 way amplifier distributer, mixed with the FM aeriel, and sent via separate cables around the house.
    This way every room can watch analogue TV, Freeview TV via its own box if fitted, and 2 Sky channels.
    The amp is a professional one, not a Dixons special, to allow Freeview distribution without spoiling the signal.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yes. I'd thought of that thanks.

If there was a simpler option I'd naturally go that way.

Thanks for the idea.