TV Capture

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by merlinuk, Jan 22, 2008.

1. merlinuk

merlinuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I am very slowly starting to put together a HTPC and I have a question about TV capture.

I have SD Sky (can't afford the HD box let alone TV) and im keen to be able to record from my sky onto my pc. I don't have the money to spend on getting a freeview arial at the moment but that it is a long term plan. I was wondering what the best way to record sky onto my tv. I was thinking along the lines of a TV card however they all seem to be digital and most don't say if they would accept an analog signal RF from my sky box. Ideally I would like to by a digital tv card so that if in the future i sort the arial out i won't need to rebuy another card.

Any help with this would be appriciated.

Thanks guys

2. AVMonkey2012

AVMonkey2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like your starting down the same path as me. I also have Sky SD and a tight budget! I managed to get working with at ATI 9800SE AIW (All in Wonder) graphics card. This has an RF input, but also allows you to connect an S-Video or composite source. Assuming your Sky box has a SCART out (which it almost certainly will have), you should have no trouble recording from it.

3. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I have a Hauppauge HVR-1100 (Although it's actually the newer HVR-1110). When it works it's great but the Hauppauge software is a bit flaky. It uses a software encoder instead of a hardware encoder. That means it's possible but not guaranteed to have almost no delay, which makes it useful for playing games consoles (My main use for it). However, it puts more load on the rest of the PC. There is the HVR-1300 which uses a hardware encoder. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is but pressumably it means you don't need such a powerful system to run and record video. Hopefully someone will come along and correct me on that.

The HVR-1100 is a hybrid tuner meaning it can receive analogue and digital freeview TV. It has composite, S-Video, and RF inputs - RF taking both analogue and digital. It can also receive digital radio, although it's NOT DAB radio. I haven't used it myself so I can't comment on it.

I don't know what Sky boxes can output but if not digital you could use a Scart->Composite RCA cable, although the picture quality won't be nearly as good as digital.

If you decide to go for the HVR-1100 or 1300, don't bin it the moment it doesn't work after plugging it in. It needs some patience to set up. There can be all sorts that interfere to give problems, like a poor quality cable from the aerial socket to the tuner (A problem I had), using a different PCI slot, changing some settings in a program called Primary, the signal being too strong or too weak, and even just the Hauppauge software being a bit sucky.

The new Hauppauge WinTV CD 4.1 (The program used for watching TV) is out which fixed some problems for me but it's not a final release. Of course, there is other software that can be used with varying success. There are also other tuners but I'm just commenting on what I've got.

4. merlinuk

merlinuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in addition to my initial query, whats the general opinion of the usb capture / tv sticks. I currently have a laptop and would like to getthe tv capture thing sorted asap. i would imagne that a usb stick would be a software encoder rathyer than a hardware one.

after looking through the avforums today my plans look really weedy in comparison to the projects people take on. I am in awe.

5. Rob12345

Rob12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I use a technotrend s 1500 card to capture free to air channels i.e. bbc and itv and film 4. It is extremly good quality becuase it used the sat signal straight into the card. But it is quite difficult to set up and you dont get channel 4 and 5.

6. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I use a cinergy s USB satellite box, great bit of kit as they say..works with OSX (mac) also problem is it won't give you any of the encryoted channels like Sky Movies etc

USB stick capture 'cards' with inputs for s-video and phono audio / video etc so you can output from a sky box I have found that the quality is never that good with any of these

7. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49

That will all change in a few months with the launch of freesat, expect E4, More 4 etc also