TV capture directly from FreeView Box

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bibbles, Jan 15, 2008.

1. bibbles

bibbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right, heres the sketch; i have a new TV capture card in my PC (got it working) which has S-video and RF inputs. i have tryed plugging in my freeview box using RF so that it will recognise just 1 channel which would be the freeview, which can then be controlled from the freeview remote. but what happens is, is that its searching for channels and finds about 10 channels, reasons for which i think is because its receiving signals from my main aerial on the roof, by going through the freeview box.

all i want is the 1 channel, being the freeview box, which i can then record nd stuff using the TV capture card, into my Tele.

any help would be Awsome!

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    most freeview boxes do not have an rf channels , only a loopthrough for the main analogue and digital channels

the old ondigi boxes have an rf output that is adjustable and so you could tune that in on a suitable analogue tuner card and watch it or record it

so if your capture card is analogue it will only receive analogue rf channels from the coax input , so thats the usual 5 terrestrial channels and any extra rf channels like from a sky box , a virgin box , a satellite box or an ondigital type of freeview box

if the capture card is a freeview card then it will only tune in freeview channels from the aerial coax input

so check what sort of signals it will capture , and read through what I said earlier , and check if your freeview box actually sends an rf signal in the first place

3. Hal_loe

Hal_loe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Welcome to the forum.

As ramjet says most Freeview boxes these days do not have rf modulators.

You mention your capture card has S-Video. Does your Freeview box have S-Video out?

Or does your capture card have composite in? It would be very strange to have S-Video and not composite.

Hope that gives you a possible solution.

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Does your freeview box have a s-video output?

If so, use that and plug it direct into the cards S-video input... BUT first, are you certain that the s-video connector in an input? It is more likely an output.

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Hi Hal - Another one! :)

6. bibbles

bibbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the S-video is most Definitly an input, as it came with the capture card. i think i have it sussed; i need to go Scart-to-Capture card. the difficulty here is that i have a scart to AV (red, white and yellow), and then i have an AV adapter to S-video on the capture card. now i need a lead with 2 male AV sides for which to connect them too. im not too good on terms as iv never really took notice, so sorry for my vagueness and thanks for the help too!

7. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    you would need to connect the yellow composite out from the freeview box , or from a special scart adapter , using a phono lead ( any colour will do but yellow if you keep it all the same ) to an adapter cable that is composite to s-video , and plug this into the capture card

this will give you pictures but no sound

you also connect the red and white on the scart adapter to your pc sound card line input using a stereo phono to jackplug lead and turn it on in the mixer to get the audio

then using suitable software you get this picture and sound input together and can record it

or type these following keywords into ebay to get a freeview pc adapter that will do it

freeview usb

freeview pci