1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV capture card plus Dscaler

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Comer, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Just how good a picture should I be getting from my Sky Digital to a TV capture card with Dscaler feeding an LCD projector. I tried it at the weekend and even after loads of tweeking the picture was apalling, very grainy. Does the capture card used make a difference, I was using a £40 capture card with an ordinary coaxial ariel cable from the digibox to the capture card.

It was so bad that I've returned the card and decided to opt for a composite cable from the digibox directly to the projector, bypassing my HCPC altogether.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Conor

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely you'd be better using the S-video - Sky Dig does have that doesn't it?

I know certain programs - news ones for instance - that often look grainy. Not much you'd be able to do about that.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    There are so many factors that determin whether you get a good or bad picture with DScaler. Some knock a PC together with little thought, buy the cheapest TV card they can find and get a very good picture. Others put in a lot of effort and get a bad picture. There are a number of things you can do to maximise the chance of getting a good picture but it goes way beyond choosing a half decent capture card. The PSU suddenly becomes very important for example. There are a lot of threads on AVS on this subject, I have tried just about everything possible includeing SDI and pro transcoders. Good source (use Svideo), Capture card (Falcon, KBK), PSU (Enermax) and a Radeon video card should get you 80% of the way, the rest is luck and black magic. ;)

4. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comer,

When you say you were using a Normal Coax ariel from the digi box, does this mean you tuned the card to the RF frequency of the digi box?

If so then it would probably not be the best picture, cheap tuner cards arn't often that brilliant for broadcast analogue TV. You'd get better results with a composite link to the capture card. I get reasonable results with this, at 720 lines resolution.
    If , as mentioned, you are lucky enough to have a sky box with S-Video, then the quality of the signal from the box will be superior and you'll get an even better picture.

I use a pinnacle TV card, which does exhibit slight noise, but I find the major shortfall in quality is the actual signal from ITV digital, compression artefacts really show up badly on stuff like sport.

Nick

5. EvilCartman

EvilCartman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In reply to Jeff's post above:

(be gentle with me, I'm a complete newbie and greenhorn and considering taking the plunge into HCPC's)

Does DScaler work with a Radeon video card? The website appears to state that it doesn't. Is it the Pinnacle video capture card that does all the processing for DScaler?

Thanks.

EvilCartman

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Dscaler works very well with Radeon cards, it's the TV/Svideo-in functions of the Radeons that Dscaler doesn't support. As long as you include a compatible capture card your OK.

Jeff

7. EvilCartman

EvilCartman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Jeff, I guess that means I won't be looking for an All-in-Wonder then.

First step then - go in search of a good mainstream PC that comes with a Radeon video card and which I can customise for HCPC as I go along...