TV Calibration Question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Stone Free, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Is there any internet site, or other resource that tells you the best way to fix the geometry on a television ? When I have been trying to fix the geometry I find it very hard to know in what order to try the various adjustments. If you are adjusting the 4:3 mode and start with the pincushion adjustment, you might get one side straight and find that the other side is still slightly bent or bent the other way. What makes this more complicated is that there is also an Upper and Lower pincushion setting, and also a pin phase, V Angle and V Bow. I have no idea on what is the best way to go about this.

I have improved the picture a lot but the horizontal lines bow slightly at the left and right edges, and there does not seem to be a setting for this. I have looked at Anthony W. Haukap's TV Calibration FAQ but this hasn't helped.

Also does anyone know of a DVD calibration disk that has static anamorphic patterns for 1.78:1, 2.25:1 ? The Video Essential only has them for letterbox, and only anamorphic patterns are animated.

Thanks in advance

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    I think the main problem here is that every TV chassis design differs so the procedure and priority of changes you make differs too. So a single source for this information would be likely to be huge. The real solution is to get a copy of the service manual for your set. Now, as to how you go about that.........???

As for calibration graphics - you will find an anamorphic test signal on many THX approved DVDs - ones with a THX optimiser on them.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    You'll get anamorphic, letterbox and 4:3 test patterns on AVIA.

Mark the mid points of top and bottom and sides of your tv with masking tape.

First centre the image.
    Then adjust SKEW for verticals and horizontals. Do this by ONLY LOOKING AT MIDDLE CROSS HAIRS.
    Then adjust BOW for verticals and horizontals. Do this by ONLY LOOKING AT MIDDLE CROSS HAIRS.
    Now you want to use KEYSTONE and PINCUSIONS to sort out sides.

With keystone and pincushion you are always trying to minimise errors. ie Use Keystone to get similar looking faults on each side and at top and bottom then use Pincusion to straighten the curvy line.

Try this then worry about the dreaded LINEARITY next.....

If your TV doesn't have some of these adjustments then sorry. They are all different. A service manual is probably your best bet.

Gordon

4. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    What is the KEYSTONE adjustment ? The adjustments available for my TV are V Linearity, V Angle, V Bow, Pin Amp,Upper and Lower Pin Amp,Pin Phase, V Slope and S Correction. The TV also has problems with Bowing on the horizontal ines, but the doesnt seem to be an adjustment for this, V Bow works on the Vertical lines, but there isnt a H Bow. How do you adjust V Linearity this just seemed to affect the Vertical Size