Quantcast

Question TV Calibration - Entry Level

RiseAbove

Hi All,

I’ve wanted to get into calibration for sometime now.

I own a Panasonic DX902 LED tv, but I want to try and start by getting gamma and the colours correct, it has 2-point and 10-point colour control settings.

Now, please humour me, I have only really performed calibration before from the following:

1) By eye - testing what looks good
2) By disc - I have a curry’s picture perfect blu-ray calibration disc and some “709” stuff from online calibration sites/tools with various (basic/entry) testing videos.
3) Other settings from other users - not obviously the best one here to use, as I appreciate every set is different, but it’s interesting to experiment and see how drastic the image can change by what setting.

So, aside from my basic knowledge, my question is where is best to start?

obviously I don’t want to go too deep professionally too quickly and I don’t want to spend a whole heap of cash on it just yet, i would like to see what improvements I can make and improve. I would like to know and see what you guys recommend from a starting pov.

many thanks!

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You can download HCFR free calibration tool and buy an i1DisplayPro xrite probe and off you go. Also look at the free version of the professional tool i use

It needs the OEM version of that probe to work (although there is a hack to get the non OEM version working). No support for free version but they have online guides.

ProfessorKalkyl

Novice Member
I agree with Gordon, get a probe like the i1displaypro and HCFR, start there and learn the basics: your goals, color temperature/white balance and gamma, nail those two and your 90% there by my standards.

I use a an i1 and HCFR when I calibrate TVs and monitors, the good thing when you get the general hang of it, is the picture quality, the bad thing is the picture quality on other peoples monitors and TVs (if that makes sence?).

RonMW

Hello RiseAbove,

In order to calibrate your Panasonic DX902 television, (Nice choice), why not take a look at the "Datacolor Spyder4PRO Advanced Monitor Calibration" tool?
I have used it for a number of years and been very happy with the results on my PC monitors and televisions.

Good luck and good results.

Ormy

DIY calibration of TVs is much more challenging than DIY calibration of speakers/subs (i.e. room correction). The main reason for this is the cost of the hardware required. For the last 5 years calibrated measurement microphones have been available for around £100 or less which has caused a big increase in DIY sound calibration, just look at all the threads about REW that have sprung up on various forums.

Professional quality calibrated measurement tools for TVs still cost a fair bit more (although there is fast progress here), and since the barrier to entry is higher there's a much smaller DIY community around display calibration (but it does exist).

The first step (as with most things) is learning and reading. Look at different colour-spaces and what they mean, all the different colour formats (YUV, YCbCr, RBG, xvYCC etc), how displays really handle chroma and luma information*. Obviously read all about gamma and how it affects the picture. Then you can learn about the other end of the process, how does the human eye interpret colour and brightness etc.

Then if you are still enthusiastic, decide which piece of measurement hardware you want to buy.

*Many flagship TVs from around 10-15 years ago (especially plasmas) will accept a 4:4:4 signal but internally downsample to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0, if you're not aware of the downsampling you'll have a nightmare trying to calibrate it.

Last edited:

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Can the x rite work projectors? The pics I’ve seen of it have it pressed up against a screen.

Top Bottom