1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tv Calibration by my own

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by booker, Mar 27, 2005.

1. booker

booker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don`t own a HDTV but i got a analogical 32" Tv a month ago.
    Since then i can`t still find a nice calibration for the TV.

I did tried DVE, but honestly it was all matter of "preference" so that didn`t work well.

Also i tried eye calibration, but it change from movie to movie..

Honeslty i`m not sure what is correct or not.

I`m not asking a professional calibration, but for some reason i feel when i calibrate my TV is a lot darker than many others TV i see on other houses when i compare them.

I hate when peopl use their TV with a low Black level, i mean, when the Black is "gray" instead of black, but at the same time i think i may overpersue that and i end up having a really dark picture coz of it.

Also i`m not sure about contrast..it should be high, low, mid?... black should be Bright or should be a low White?...

Could someone make a guie or link me to some websites where they actually give tips and guide you for a correct calibration?

bascially i`m not sure what should be higher..Brightness or COnstrast?

right now i have my tv on 40% Bright, 45% Contrast and 35% Color Saturation with a 15% Picture definition.

I know this is useless, for you since it change from TV to TV, but maybe the correct setting is to have brighness higher than Contrast or... anyways...any advice or tip will be greatly welcome!

thanks

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Booker,

I have always agonised over my television picture settings each time I bought a new set so I feel sympathy with you.

Having read so much about keeping the contrast on a lower setting to make the tube last longer, I do that. I had a new Philips 36PW9618 a year ago and have played with the settings over and over. I do agree with you, I hate the black looking grey but possibly my settings are right as this television has a really dense black.

I have Pixel Plus, which maybe isn't comparable with a non Pixel Plus television as regards to optimum settings. I like a very natural picture, not high contrast or brightness as this is very tiring for the eyes. My settings at the moment are:

Contrast: 40
    Brightness 47
    Colour 53
    Sharpness 3 (out of 7)

I did have my sharpness set at 1 but I have upped it to 3 but I don't notice much difference. My settings are not that far removed from yours. BBC News 24 is meant to be one of the best programmes to judge geometry and settings whilst the newsreaders are on screen. I would imagine my Sharpness setting is equivalent to your Picture Definition when I had it on 1 (out of 7).

I haven't found a website which gives any guidelines as I suppose it varies so much with different televisions and personal preferences. When I visit friends I often see some awful picture settings. Most people seem to never alter their settings from new and you know what manufacturers' settings are like! You certainly, in my opinion, seem to have sussed it out pretty well. Doubtless 75% of the forum will disagree with us!

Happy viewing!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    calibration is dead easy, just needs £5k of kit and years of training! see www.homecinemaengineering.com for what it involves and if you dont what its supposed to look like how can you calibrate it??? thats where test patterns come in and you need to know what each one is for and does....

4. booker

booker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cynthia 7 and hornydragon,
    thanks for both feedback.

After spending most of my weekend i can finally say i`m happy with my picture, of course, sometimes i`m wondering.... if this picture will be right... but oh well..nothing is perfect in life, so i guess i won`t be able to find perfection on my TV calibration, even if i had it perfect..i wouldn`t know ;)

anyways, my final settings are.
    NTSC
    Brightness 43/100
    Color 37/100
    Contrast 50/100
    Definition 15/100

On my case is a real pain since i got TV Cable with PAL System (Argentina is PAL), and i have to tweak from PAL to NTSC, since my DVD player is NTSC.

TO make a balance i only tweak Brighntess, it seems PAL system is "darker" than NTSC. So when i set PAL i just raise Brightness to 53, wich is the equivalent on 43 on NTSC (from picture comparison).

I don`t think i can make the picture better... like the frase says... this is all i can get... i presume..