1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV cable works when wet (with nailpolish solvent)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mini_in_Canada, Jul 12, 2005.

1. mini_in_Canada

mini_in_Canada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is a strange situation: My cable source is a splitter that is located outside my flat. That could be the problem, but I've noticed that when the picture on my tv goes all fuzzy (while making a loud fuzz sound), I used to be able to simply wiggle the cable connector that is plugged right into the back of my tv, in order to regain my picture. Things just got worse, and I would have to fully unscrew and reinsert the cable into the plug - until even that wouldn't work. THAT's when I came up with the idea of cleaning the connection points with nailpolish remover - and it works! But only temporarily, then the picture gradually worsens. It's to the point where I'm fully dipping the whole cable end into the solvent every few minutes! I'm going mad!!! What's wrong? Do I need to cut the tip of the cable that plugs into the tv and stick on a new "end piece"? Or does the problem stem from the splitter that is located outside and damaged by rain and cold (it IS Canada). I'm so fed up with this!! I aplologize for the lack of technical vocabulary in my post... Please help this pathetic Canadian girl who just wants to watch her CBC!! *sniff* :'(

2. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Hi and welcome :hiya:,

I suspect that just disturbing the cable is giving you the temporary improvement rather than the solvent. Interesting idea to try using it though ;).

Try remaking the connection using a new plug. It could also be the socket on the receiver that's at fault. Have a look to see if there's any physical damage noticable.

3. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Wohoo, something I know a lot about!!!!!

Mini on Canada, You have what is called in cable tv world as common path distortion (CPD) or Corrosion (CPC) we used to have a big problem with it here in the uk.

Basically is the cable tv system at fault, the band that carries the signals coming to your house are now so full that they carry a lot (in cable tv land) of energy. Some of the splitters and distribution systems are not able to cope with this and it causes a small build up of capacitance in the system.

This is why it goes for a while when you disconnect it, clean it etc.

This could also be caused by corrosion on the network, but it does not need to be near you.

Call your Cable TV company and they should be able to fix it.

Chris

(Ex Cable TV support engineer and designer of Budapest's and Cork's cable tv systems)

4. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Only on these forums could you get an answer like that! Apologies for my patethic attempt, I can only hope that the bump caught vex's attention :D.

Incidently vex, being familiar with the two cities you mention, I wonder which you have the fondest memories of? Given the quality of the wine bars in the first and the fact that the second had cable TV before it had a proper sewage system, I know where my vote would go :devil: , but I suppose that's one for General Chat :)