TV Cable Help - Satellite or Virgin Cable?

TomE

Novice Member
Hello,

I've just moved into a new house and there are twin TV cables in the living room (see photo). I initially thought they were satellite cables as there is a dish on the back of the house, and my plan was to buy a FreeSat box. I'm not interested in paying for Sky or another subscription. However, the previous owners said something about how they used Virgin cable, which seems odd as I didn't think cable was widely available in the UK. They might've been mistaken.

Can anyone advise what I need to do in order to have live TV? Set top box with an adaptor/ connector of some kind?

Many thanks!

PXL_20210720_163728250.jpg

Fred Smith

You need to trace the cables back to the source and or bell them out.
As it stands could be either.
Have you checked the VM website to see if you are in a cable area?
How many outputs on the satellite dish LNB?

TomE

Novice Member
I've done some more investigating and while there is a Virgin access point in the street, it doesn't appear anything is running into the house. The cables from the Sat dish on the back of the house run over the top of the roof, drop down, and go into the lounge wall.... so it's a satellite connection.

My TV doesn't have built in Freesat so (a tiny bit too old) so I'll ned a STB. Next question - can I plug those cables directly into the box or do I need some sort of adapter (coaxial, F type?).

Thanks!

John

They should just screw into any satellite tuner

REPASSAC

The next thing to establish is what LNB is on dish arm and how many outputs it has as it could be a Sky Q LNB. However if you are planning on buying the current Freesat 4K unit made by Arris, the only new STB around it won't matter.

JonMace

The next thing to establish is what LNB is on dish arm and how many outputs it has as it could be a Sky Q LNB. However if you are planning on buying the current Freesat 4K unit made by Arris, the only new STB around it won't matter.
There are plenty of other new satellite STBs about that arguably do a better job than the Arris, its just that the Arris is the only official Freesat STB

Fred Smith

That was asked in post #2 along with other questions the OP has yet to answer.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom