Question Tv buzzing - power interference?

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by Russa, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Russa

Russa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Up until yesterday I was using only 1 old 4 way adaptor. I had no problems.

Yesterday I had a tidy up of cables and used 2 new 4 way power adaptors in the conservatory. 1st adaptor powered the conservatory tv, dining room tv and sky+HD box. The 2nd adaptor powers the bluray, ps4, neet splitter (splits sky to conservatory and dining room) a belkin router used as a LAN hub.

Tonight I noticed the dining room tv had started to buzz very slightly, so I have unplugged the dining room tv's power cable from the 1st new adaptor and swapped it into the 2nd new adaptor. The buzzing from the dining room to has now gone.

So, what is the actual cause? Are the new adaptors rubbish? Or is it because both tv's were in the same adaptor? and they have a powered HDMI connection to both of them?

Tomorrow I will mess around trying all possibilities.

Main thing I'm asking is do I need better 4 way adaptors? And which ones would people recommend?

2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,346
    Better power boards with some kind of power supply smoothing will always do better. If the buzzing goes though as it is now then that should of fine IMO.

3. Russa

Russa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Thought I would update this if anyone comes across it and it may help.

I purchased 2 decent extension leads that are both surge protected and RFI. when I plugged them in the indicator said not grounded. So I remove the wall sockets only to find there is no earth connected in the ring. Why would someone go to the effort of wiring in the live and neutral and not bother with the earth???? job for the weekend then.

4. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,346
    You may want to get an electrician in to look at all wiring by the sound of it. If that is as built it obviously doesn't meet a raft of codes and requirements.

I also wouldn't plug in anything that wasn't double insulated hence doesn't need to ne earthed personally until all sockets are known to be up to scratch.

5. Russa

Russa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    It's been like it 20 years since the conservatory was built.

The ring is still protected by the RCD.

I'll just rewire it myself and then get my sparky to pop out and give it the thumbs up.

6. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,346
    No worries with your plans in your house. It's just that this being a public forum it is usually best to point out what the vast majority should probably do if they discover something similar :)