1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tv Buying uncertainty

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by beng, Jul 11, 2005.

1. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

My TV went pop last week and so this week I've been doing the usual round of research trying to decide on a relpacement. First a small rant. This is possibly, since I've had money in my pocket, the most confusing time for buying home entertainment I have ever witnessed. For my replacement TV I can choose from plasma, crt, crt rpj, LCD and DLP rpj. Each technology seems to have it's advantages and drawbacks and no one model looks set to dominate the market. With that in mind I've tried to decide what's important to me. I'm a gamer and will pobably pick up an x360 next year. HD is just around the corner. But I've never seen it and TBH am perfectly happy with SD. The only other thing of note is that my missus has been spoiled for the last few years with our rpj and she has basically put a bit of pressure on to not shrink down the screen size. So that rules out crt and LCD.

So I did a bit of digging this weekend and have narrowed it down to the 51wh46 Toshiba and the 44pxu3 from Sony. My jaw almost hit the floor when I saw a 51inch screen for £899. However deeper digging suggests this is a bare bones set in it's truest form. The sony is a bit smaller but seems to have a better spec. Do you have any opinions on which one is better? Is there something obvious I'm missing that should be on my list?

Any help appreciated.